sunn 0)))
Feb 8, 2007 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
so what's up with this group? when i'm in the mood for it, i can appreciate some slow, atmospheric doom but i dunno about sunn. the only stuff i heard from them is the grimm robe demos cd. is this album more like an experimental cd or is pretty much everything they do like that album? if that's the case i have no idea why they're so popular. i swear the whole cd is like 4 notes.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Give it time. Sunn O)))) is definitely experimental and from what I have heard, it's more about creating soundscapes than music.

Sleep's Dopesmoker took a couple of listens before I really "got it" (it is, after all, a 63 minute song with minimal lyrics and heavily based on a single note), but this kind of stuff needs time to absorb.

You may never like it, and that's fine. It takes a lot of concentration to fully appreciate stuff like Sunn, since the reward is more in the shifting tonality and the trance it can put you in.

I prefer Pelican, personally... I wonder if I would like Sunn O)))) better now that I'm used to Dopesmoker and Pelican's work?

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 18
Grimm robe is some of their earliest work and certainly not my favorite. I would try White One/Two, which is a little more accessible (emphasis on little). Listening to White 1 right now, probably my favorite album of theirs. I use Black One to test new components because it goes insanely low but usually I don't have the time/patience to deal with anything but the white albums and Altar. That being said if you are willing to put the time in any of their albums can prove very rewarding, but you have to appreciate it more as a work of art than a piece of music. Everything is stretched out to immense lengths so you can pay attention to the low, low tune of a guitar blasting out of an amplifier and hear the notes within notes of a note if that makes any sense. Keep coming back to it and you will probably grow to appreciate it.

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 18
I don't like Sunn O))) much. I've given them lots of time, and I still don't like them... I especially cannot stand Black One. I don't really like stuff like Electric Wizard and Sleep, either. I can understand the appeal of drone, but it just isn't for me... and it might not be for you, either.

That being said, I do enjoy Khanate occasionally... they're like a more musical version of Sunn O))).

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 18
I've only heard "It Took the Night to Believe" from Black One, but I thought it was pretty cool. The vocals are what did it for me. They totally remind me of the sound effects and atmosphere of the Splatterhouse series of video games for the Sega Genesis. Especially those shrieks... How is it even possible to make that sound?

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 18
Sunn 0))) is not about "music" as much as it is about the physical experience of listening to them. Listening to them in front of some bass-heavy speakers in absolute darkness is a very fulfilling experience to me, and I'm not one to like this kind of music much. I saw them live at the Knitting Factory once, and the actual experience these guys put on is beyond belief.

That said, I've not heard too many of their recordings. The tone clusters are very similar to that of Sun Ra, which is one of my main reasons for liking Sunn 0))) so much (I'm a huge Sun Ra fan). I'd say that, like for most people, this is just too extreme for you, and I'm right up there with you for most of the time. I have to be in a really unique and rare mood to thoroughly enjoy this band.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sunn o /boris altar rules......

nuff said!

and i have say, oddly enough, i agree with aman. imagine that.....

I enjoyed Altar as well.

I really think Black One is their best, darkest album. Flight of the Behemoth is the only other album that comes close in my opinion.

But I do have to be in the mood to listen to Sunn, no headphone is capable of doing them justice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard "It Took the Night to Believe" from Black One, but I thought it was pretty cool. The vocals are what did it for me. They totally remind me of the sound effects and atmosphere of the Splatterhouse series of video games for the Sega Genesis. Especially those shrieks... How is it even possible to make that sound?

O'Malley had all the vocals recorded in a coffin.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

sunn o /boris altar rules......

nuff said!

I just picked up this cd today (limited edition).

I'm looking forward to listening to this cd!!

Thanks for the recommendation on this one fyrfytrhoges...................

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed Altar as well.

I really think Black One is their best, darkest album. Flight of the Behemoth is the only other album that comes close in my opinion.

But I do have to be in the mood to listen to Sunn, no headphone is capable of doing them justice.

O'Malley had all the vocals recorded in a coffin.

i listened to it on headphones and it sounded awesome..........

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

its flippin awesome. guarantee you will like it bejby..........

If you guarantee that I'll like it, then I know I will. You have GREAT taste in music and I value your recommendations!!

SMOOCH!!!!

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioheadJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guarantee that I'll like it, then I know I will. You have GREAT taste in music and I value your recommendations!!

SMOOCH!!!!

oh meow bejby girl........

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 18
going to see them live in April
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 18
i love a bit of Sun 0))) me, as well as Earth and Boris. there is something very foetal about drone, i find it very comforting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back