Sunmoon's Subjective IEM Notes/Impressions
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #16 of 21
8. Massdrop x NuForce EDC3

LowsVocalHighsComfortIsolationTechnicalities
OkayOkayOkayGoodGoodPoor

Subjective Frequency Graphs:

Massdrop x NuForce EDC3.png

Notes:

On the product page, Drop states that this IEM has a natural sound signature with a bass boost, which I don't disagree with.
However, the sound lacks layering, dynamics, and emotions. In short, it sounds dead.
If you want to know what BA timbre sounds like, get this set. It shows basically all the bad traits of BA drivers.
For $100, there are so many better options, and you should probably skip this one.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 21
9. JVC HA-FW1500/ HA-FW1800

ExcellentOkayExcellentGoodOkayExcellent

JVC HA-FW1500.png

Notes:

What I have is the Japanese ver. FW1500, but should be identical to the international FW1800 version from what I read.

Before getting this IEM, I imagined it would be a bassy set with lush mids. I was only partially correct.

This set still has a classic Japanese tuning, with a forwarded upper mids/lower treble; on top of that, it has a superb bass performance.
Bass is airy, layered, has good decay but not overly done.

Lower mids are recessed, this plus the forwarded upper mids, make the mids feel a bit dry and close to sibilance, and slightly grainy at times. I might be a little harsh to give it an "Okay" instead of "Good" in the area.
In most cases, the elevated upper mids are balanced with the strong bass from this IEM. So for most songs, it's not a big issue, or the issues in the mids are less noticeable. That being said, a good fit is essential, as when the bass is missing, the sound might become too bright for some.

Trebel is excellent with great extension. Excellent imaging capability and soundstage.

Overall I feel this set excels in pure/instrument music but still capable of other genres.

Does it worth $600? Probably yes. The bass and technical performance of this IEM are impressive. The mids issue can be mitigated by source pairing. It's better in most areas compared to the HA-FDX1 that I owned. I wish I have the FW01 to compare, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #18 of 21
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 21
10. SHUOER TAPE ELECTROSTATIC IEM

GoodPoorOkayGoodOkayOkay

10. SHUOER TAPE ELECTROSTATIC IEM.png

Notes:

Very confusion. When it was first introduced, it says it has a dynamic+electrostatic dual-driver setup with a 3-way crossover design on the official product page. Later on, on a Chinese Hi-Fi forum, the rep from the company confirmed it's a dynamic+electret setup. Now it says it has a single low voltage electrostatic driver. I am not feeling very positive about this.

It has a full metal build and feels slightly heavier than average IEMs.

The bass is slightly on the light side but has quite good quality and a clean feel in it.
Start from the upper mids to the highs, it starts to show a weird "shimmer" to the sound and makes the entire region feels irritating to listen to for longer than ten minutes.
Strangely enough, when listening at lower volumes, it sounds great, but as you start to increase the volume, it begins to sound more and more shouty. The isolation is not great, which makes the issue worse when you use them in outdoor environments.

If you are sensitive to highs, you might want to avoid this one as well.

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #21 of 21
10. SHUOER TAPE ELECTROSTATIC IEM

GoodPoorOkayGoodOkayOkay

10. SHUOER TAPE ELECTROSTATIC IEM.png

Notes:

Very confusion. When it was first introduced, it says it has a dynamic+electrostatic dual-driver setup with a 3-way crossover design on the official product page. Later on, on a Chinese Hi-Fi forum, the rep from the company confirmed it's a dynamic+electret setup. Now it says it has a single low voltage electrostatic driver. I am not feeling very positive about this.

It has a full metal build and feels slightly heavier than average IEMs.

The bass is slightly on the light side but has quite good quality and a clean feel in it.
Start from the upper mids to the highs, it starts to show a weird "shimmer" to the sound and makes the entire region feels irritating to listen to for longer than ten minutes.
Strangely enough, when listening at lower volumes, it sounds great, but as you start to increase the volume, it begins to sound more and more shouty. The isolation is not great, which makes the issue worse when you use them in outdoor environments.

If you are sensitive to highs, you might want to avoid this one as well.
I am pretty sure it is a magnetostat that is used with a dd.
The magnetostat is made by earbridge.
1600857747436.png

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-world-s-first-magneto-static-earphone-hpsd-e70#/

I recommend that you try the Oratory1990 EQ preset on it, actually turns it into a good iem. :joy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytm2jloh6igd98p/Shuoer Tape (oratory1990 target).pdf?dl=0
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back