Sunglasses help
Apr 8, 2006 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

atart

100+ Head-Fier
Alright guys,
I'm in the market for a pair of sunglasses. I've been looking around online and found a few pairs to my liking. Here's what I need/want:

- Metal rim
- Thin rim
- Polarized lens (of course)
- Budget is between 100 - 200
- Preferably lens and rim are dark colors

That said, this is the pair I'm most interested in:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1036592

I've seen it around in different colors, so that isn't the issue. Just hoping to get suggestions/comments on them or recommendations for similar pairs (any brand).

Also, these don't seem to come in sizes, so I'm assuming its a one size fits all kinda thing. So would I have to try them out or would it be stupid to take a blind shot and buy them online.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

P.S. I'm inclined to stay away from the ultra sporty look like that of Oakley, and stick to the classic styles.

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 63
there are better polycarbonate lenses out there than the ray-bans. the poly ray bans i have feature lenses made my luxotica. while very clear, bright lights have a reflection and double. the glass ray bans are good, but can be heavy.

serengetti makes some classy looking glasses too. hobie makes good poly lenses for their glasses.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 63
I have the Dragon fastbacks and LOVE them, I'm sure you can get them polarized. This is where I bought them, although they were on sale at the time, I think they have gotten more popular lately because people on mtv are wearing them and stuff. I've had 2 pair, my first pair my brother loved so much that he gave me 200 bucks on the spot for them. At least check them out.
biggrin.gif

Slade

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 63
i think this is where bong and saturnine chime in.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 63
If you can find a good deal on a pair of Revo sunglasses, I think you'd be really happy with them. Their H2O line is polarized. Their lenses are phenominal.

Have of course have a look at Ray-Ban. When I was searching for sunglasses in the same price range that's what I ended up with. I wanted Revo, but couldn't find a frame I liked at the time. I've had the pair for 3 or 4 years now and have been very happy with them.

Also worth checking out are Maui Jim and Serengetti (although I don't remember if Serengetti has polarized lenses).

The best advice I can give you though is to just try a lot of styles on your face. Despite having preferences for the Revo and Serengetti lens I ended up with Ray-Ban because they fit my face well and I liked the look.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 63
Check out the Oakley Wire series. Lots of thin metal frames and polarized lenses there, and the O panache.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 63
costa-del-mar
rayban (glass)
serengetti
revo
vuarnet

i would highly reccomend the costa-del-mar or the raybans off of that list, but you really have to do something very wrong to get a bad set of frames out of those guys. maybe buy a man a frame clearly designed & styled for a woman...

as far as styling and sizing goes, its worse than headphones. people can describe the headphones, but even more subtle diferences make up a frame "working" on yoru face or not. if you cant "try before you buy" be 100% sure that you can send unused merch back to wherever you got it in a decent fashion.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by atart
P.S. I'm inclined to stay away from the ultra sporty look like that of Oakley, and stick to the classic styles.

Try these:
http://o-review.com/glassesmodels.asp?ID=258

They come with polarized lens in two different colors. Classic styling with a touch of edgyness, and the best quality sunglass lens out there IMO. Oakley does have some subdued styles now, be sure to check them out. They are much higher quality than Ray Ban..

Also if you can pull these off, they are most rewarding. You are guaranteed to get lots of attention wherever you go.
http://o-review.com/glassesmodels.asp?ID=143
http://o-review.com/apparelmodels.asp?ID=585

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 63
LOL, thanks for the links

those are actually one of my shortlisted pairs, oakley whisker polarized, quite like them, but one thing i have to pick on is the wire, it sits on top of the ear rather than curving around it like the ray bans.

are the oakleys really much better quality wise than those ray bans?

thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Oliver peoples.

Oakley bought them out
smily_headphones1.gif
Not sure how or if they have changed since..

Quote:

Are the oakleys really much better quality wise than those ray bans?

One word: YES! Heck, Wal-Mart sells Ray Ban now, that should tell you something. Go out to a Sunglass Hut & try on a few pairs from different brands, decide what is best for you. While you are there, check out the Oakley X-Metal line. They aren't classic style by no means, but they are the RS-1 of sunglasses. I've found that Oakley is the best fit for me, and the best quality available anywhere (cept for Cartier, of course). Both Oakley & Maui Jim are good choices for lens quality, but the Oakley frame quality is much better than Maui (talking about metal frames here, Oakley's plastic "O-Matter" frames are just so-so).

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Nitro is what Brad Pitt wore in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Ah yes, but Mr. Pitt wore the Oakley leather wrapped Mars in Fight Club
smily_headphones1.gif

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5336/mars3rt.jpg

BTW, YAY 2000th post!!!!!!!!!!!!11two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back