Sunglasses and other eye wear
Apr 24, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #31 of 50
453e4199531b9.jpg

Lovin my Oakley XX shades. Got em for free too, a friend of mine found em.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, nothing compares to real, quality glass, and no one does this better than Serengeti.

sunglassesgiant_1996_400014024

I've had these since 2001. They are mandatory eyewear for private pilots.
It lets me see on dark days, bright days, and cuts through the haze like no other sunglass can.
You can't wear a polarized lens in the cockpit (shows square mesh pattern on auto/plane glass and instrumentation).

The only bad thing about these are that the lens frame screws backout easily. You have to constantly remember to tighten them because the screws can only be attained through Serengetti (not a common eyeglass screw).

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #34 of 50
I've had a pair of Oakley Minute for about 8 years or so, still damn nice shades even though the lenses are getting a little scratched. Can't seem to find them in the same colour combo anymore though (blue mottled frames with red iridium lenses).

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It lets me see on dark days, bright days, and cuts through the haze like no other sunglass can.
You can't wear a polarized lens in the cockpit (shows square mesh pattern on auto/plane glass and instrumentation).

I like my oakley's for flying, the wrap around means no stray brightness from the sides.

What do you fly?

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

The only bad thing about these are that the lens frame screws backout easily. You have to constantly remember to tighten them because the screws can only be attained through Serengetti (not a common eyeglass screw).

Hmm...I haven't had any problems with screws on my pair (same frame, different lens). Have you tried putting some thread-lock on?

Yeah, the Serengeti-lenses are incredibly good in regards to dark or bright conditions and haze. I use them when driving in rain or fog, as it actually increases contrast and helps me see better.
Great stuff.

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #36 of 50
I wear Prada sunglasses.

4960292.jpg

Most of the fits they use fit my head well. The arms aren't long and the curve sits right over my ear, unlike many where the curve is PAST my ear.

In all reality though, MOST all designer sunglasses are made by teh same company (which I can't seem to remember the name). The ones you find in Solstice and Sunglass hut atleast all have the same manufacturer.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #37 of 50
The only thing i dont like about Oakley is that the arms dont bend around the back of your ear. This interferes with wearing my caps.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all reality though, MOST all designer sunglasses are made by teh same company (which I can't seem to remember the name). The ones you find in Solstice and Sunglass hut atleast all have the same manufacturer.

Most designer sunglasses are made by Luxxotica.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but not all sunglasses sold in SGH are made by the same company.. Maui Jim, Revo, etc.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most designer sunglasses are made by Luxxotica.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but not all sunglasses sold in SGH are made by the same company.. Maui Jim, Revo, etc.

Yep, most are Luxxotica, including Rayban

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #40 of 50
My neighbor worked for Luxxotica but she only got discounts on the cheap stuff.
mad.gif

May 1, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #42 of 50
May 1, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

I used to wear them but I found out that the best optics are from Maui Jim. Stop by a good sunglass store and check them out yourself... you will be amazed!!

Tuarreg

May 1, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #44 of 50
List of non broken Oakleys I have:
XX
M Frames
Half Jackets

All with black iridium lens.

May 1, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #45 of 50
This thread is very timely for me. I just broke down and ordered two pairs of prescription sunglasses.

I'm a big Maui Jim fan, so my first pair were prescription Maui Jims, with a metal frame, grey lenses. My old non-prescription pair were plastic, similar to a Ray-Ban Wayfarer style, so I wanted something different.

I also ordered a pair of Serengeti Drivers, with polarized lenses, to keep in the car for, uh, driving! Unfortunately, I got a call today from the optician, and apparently my astigmatism is too strong for the polarized Serengeti lenses. It's -1.25 which isn't too strong AFAIK, but apparently the limit is -1.00. Not sure what I'm going to do. I could get non-polarized, or another pair of MJs, or just the one pair. I'm a big believer in polarized lenses, but like the photochromatic feature of the Serengetis. I have a non-prescription pair of Drivers now. I might just get the Serengeti polarized lenses made with the maximum -1.00 sphericity -- I don't think it would make much difference. (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back