Sunglass Lens Help
Jul 1, 2006 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

atart

100+ Head-Fier
Well since i started back at the beginning of this year, looking for sunglasses, ive gone all the way around and come back to the starting point, still trying to figure out which shades would do me good.

I'm exploring my options and changing my initial criteria from rimmed sunglasses to rimless, glass lens to polycarbonate.

The first part of the change is something i can manage (hopefully) but what about the change in material of the lens? I tried on a Revo 3050 (glass lens) and quality of vision was very good. Now I'm thinking of a Revo 3044 (polycarbonate) which looks stunning, but I'm unsure of quality of vision. How are Revo's polycarbonate lens? I will eventually try these out before going out and buying them, but just wanted your opinions first.

These are the glasses:

http://www.eyesave.com/styles/p10174...044/index.aspx

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers.

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 10
Personally, I prefer glass lenses for their scratch resistance. The only time I wear shatter-proof (plastic) lenses is when I'm riding my motorcycle.

I have an ugly Oakley M-Frame with polycarbonate lenses that I've used for 10 years of riding there are no scratches. I do have a nick where I got hit by a stone (or something), but it's very minor and out of my line-of-sight. Also, all of my prescription and reading glasses are plastic, and I've never scratched a pair.

I have chipped glass lenses by dropping them. Of course they ALWAYS seem to land lens-first when they hit the concrete. I suppose a plastic lens would also be damaged if you dropped them on the lens.

Polycarbonate lenses are very durable and scratch-resistant. You just have to be careful with them and clean them properly.

Edit: Looks like I mis-read your post. I've owned Revo glasses with glass lenses, but never with plastic, so I can't comment on the vision quality.

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 10
kaenoin variant?

maui jim "rimless jobbies"

serengetti "rimless jobbies" look jsut like the maui jims.

oakley "why" frames. why, why not.

those are just off the top of the gourd.

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies, just headed over to maui jim's website and found a couple of pairs that look sweet
biggrin.gif

Most notably:

http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/...=LFG506-02.jpg

How are Maui Jim's polycarbonate lens?

As far as I know, the decision between glass vs. polycarbonate boils down to this:

Glass: better quality of vision, scratch resistant, prone to shattering if dropped or hit, heavier

Polycarbonate: Much stronger than glass, lightweight, quality of vision??? (this is what i'd like to know, how much would i be sacrificing say if i went with the above maui jim polycarbonates?)

Thanks again

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 10
In my experience, good quality polycarbonate lenses are fine, vision-wise. I have the Oakleys and a pair of Harley Davidson riding glasses with polycarbonate day-night lenses. Both seem fine. I would be worried if you were talking about a $12.99 drug-store special, but with Revo (or any other reputable manufacturer) I think you'd be getting a very good lens. Of course, I'm speculating, but if it were ME making the purchase, I would't be worried about the brands you've mentioned.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 10
Good to hear, Just need to decide between Maui Jims and Revo now, the 3044 vs. Paradise

3044: $149
Paradise: $246

Do rimless sunglasses come with glass lens? Most that I see come with polycarbonate? Would glass be too heavy for a rimless pair to support?

Other opinions on Maui Jim & Revo polycarbonate lens are very much welcome
biggrin.gif

Thanks a bunch

P.S. sweet pair you got there RX, other pics of MJ's or Revo would be great

Jul 2, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 10
Why 8.1 black/black polarized. There was a magazine back in 2003 that did a test, and Oakley lenses just trounced Maui and Revo and such. Of course that was 2003, and of course, only Oakley bothers to post the info on their site. Well you would wouldn't you, as it was a good review for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by atart
Do rimless sunglasses come with glass lens? Most that I see come with polycarbonate? Would glass be too heavy for a rimless pair to support?

rimless sunglass lenses sometimes crack. the lens has to "handle" ALL of the stresses that the frame would normally take the vast majority of. its not not a good place for glass.

if you want a glass lens, you may be able to find it in a "half" frame AKA a "bottomless" frame, with the frame solid ont eh tops and sides. possibly a "topless" frame too, but i doubt they will meet "aesthetic" criteria...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back