Sunday morning music...for guests
May 22, 2005 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
OK, so we had some friends who stayed over last night, and the kids all got up before 6:00 AM and woke everyone up. After they ran around and watched cartoons and such, they all departed upstairs to play. Well, at that point, I needed some nice, mellow music that everyone would appreciate.

This is trickier than you might think. The variety of musical tastes range from The Ramones (guest) to Sting (Mrs. Elrod) to classica (guest). Someone was likely to be disappointed.

In the end, I settled on Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. In the end, it was very well received, and had it's desired effect of bringing everyone down from the madness of our early-rising kids. I feel like I lucked out with that one.
biggrin.gif

Anyone have any other suggestions for similar music that is good accross all musical preferences?

May 22, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 18
"Blood on the Tracks" is my favorite Dylan album and coincidentally I recently received the remastered redbook CD issue of it which is substantially better.

Otherwise, I often opt for various Vivaldi concerti for Sunday morning fare. The Four Seasons is always good, and I have a CD of Los Romeros playing Vivaldi guitar concerti (Philips 412 624-2) which is really quite tasty.

May 22, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
I think Sting would have been a good call also
smily_headphones1.gif

Shuggy Otis' forgotten classic Inspiration Information is light, ineluctably agreeable Sunday Morning music.

May 28, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 18
Mahler. Or Shostakovich. Played very LOUD. Always goes over very well with my guests.

May 28, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Anything by Cannibal Corpse.

May 29, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
Anything by Cannibal Corpse.

You mean really loud, of course? Appreciated by elderly, grandmoms etc.

Quote from Amazon:
Quote:

Cannibal Corpse are one of those bands whose CDs you don't put on when the extended family come around to visit

I think "10. Rotted Body Landslide" should do the trick.
rolleyes.gif

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

May 29, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 18
I have long been the appointed DJ at family gatherings- meaning that I have to pick out the music that will:
1. Not offend any of the old crowd (I'm talkin' 70 + here)
2. Be mildly entertaining
3. Not demand the attention of the listener (try putting on T. Monk as "background music")
4. Elicit at least a couple comments like,”This is nice music” and “What album is this”
5. Fail to elicit remarks like, “Can you turn that down” or “Inthenameofallthat’sholy will you turn that down!!!”

I have come across two albums that meet all of the above criteria, Bob Marley- Legend and Paul Simon- Negotiations and Love Songs.

I am very grateful for the Sting recommendation, though after a few of his greatest hits I might be screaming to turn it down.

I will be eagerly awaiting more input on this thread, thanks elrod-tom!

May 30, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 18
Boston, The Eagles, The Beatles, and Eric Clapton are some other good choices. If your crowd is a bit more adventurous, then Floyd and Zeppelin are other good choices.

May 30, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 18
Different strokes for different folks: Cafe del Mar (various compilations) for breakfasts 5 o'clock in the morning with a bunch of drunkards, Jazz Samba (Stan Getz, Charlie Byrd) or A Paris (Jacky Terrasson) for a sunny and relaxed brunch, Bach or Mozart with family and All this Time (slightly more sophisticated Sting) for a casual 9 o'clock coffee breakfast with friends.

Jazz Samba is my overall favourite: easy and light-footed, swings, unintrusive, melody-driven with touch of jazz and Latin flavour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back