Sundara, not for me I guess, recommendations?
May 6, 2020 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Jeremy257

New Head-Fier
Hello all. Been lurking and learning. Could really use some advice.

So I just recently received my first pair of "real headphones". I purchased some Sundara headphones from Amazon. I'm driving them with a JDS Atom. They sound good and I can certainly appreciate the detail. They do not seem to have any low end punch and I really miss that. The sub bass sounds good but there's no impact. From the further research I've done (primarily here) I gather I probably need to buy some quality dynamic driver headphones as planars don't really offer that punch that I'm missing. What would be a recommendation on good sound that still gives me some punch? Do the HD58X offer any punch or do I need something like the Elex? I can get some refurbed Elears right now for cheap, are they that bad?

May 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 42
Hello all. Been lurking and learning. Could really use some advice.

So I just recently received my first pair of "real headphones". I purchased some Sundara headphones from Amazon. I'm driving them with a JDS Atom. They sound good and I can certainly appreciate the detail. They do not seem to have any low end punch and I really miss that. The sub bass sounds good but there's no impact. From the further research I've done (primarily here) I gather I probably need to buy some quality dynamic driver headphones as planars don't really offer that punch that I'm missing. What would be a recommendation on good sound that still gives me some punch? Do the HD58X offer any punch or do I need something like the Elex? I can get some refurbed Elears right now for cheap, are they that bad?
Most planars don’t have the punch of some dynamics but it is faster, more articulate and more defined in my opinion for bass. You said it was your first “ Real Headphone “ then welcome to some reality not all higher end headphones are going to be bass heavy.

May 6, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 42
Hilarious

Can anyone tell me if something like the HD58X will give me some punch? Recommendations welcomed please.
How is this hilarious? You know what buy you some Beats then.

May 6, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 42
How is this hilarious? You know what buy you some Beats then.

I was just asking for some advice. Your initial response seemed a bit condescending while not offering any advice. I thought my response was quite tame. Your last response was really letting me know how you felt about my opening post, hilarious and priceless. Thanks for the input.

May 6, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 42
Seems others may have taken you the wrong way. Lol. To answer your question. Yes the 58x does deliver some nice impact. Subjectively speaking. One thing that you'll learn along the way is that opinions vary when it comes to this hobby. Dynamic headphones will give the punch and impact you're looking for. If you're not looking to jump down extreme rabbit holes as most of us have. The 58x is a fantastic headphone. Even though I own a pair of Focal Clear cans, I'll never part with my 58x. It's a fantastic can and imo is the best buy in the Senn 6 series.

Cheers!
I was just asking for some advice. Your initial response seemed a bit condescending while not offering any advice. I thought my response was quite tame. Your last response was really letting me know how you felt about my opening post, hilarious and priceless. Thanks for the input.

May 6, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 42
If you're looking for impact and bass from an open-back headphone, the Focal Elear and Philips X2HR are worth auditioning.

May 6, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 42
No it was your response of “ Hilarious “ that I took a bit of offense to. I was trying to give you my assessment of planar bass versus dynamics . You said the Sundara was your first “Real Headphone “ your words not mine and I said welcome to the reality of higher end headphones as they are not going to be bass heavy. Sorry I don’t see how this is condescending ? You know what I’m sorry that I responded to your post and wasted your time please accept my apology.

May 6, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 42
The Fidelio X2 might be up your alley if you want some impact from an open back headphone

May 6, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 42
TH610 can bring the punch, but really many headphones can. It also depends on your other needs. Open, closed, doesn't matter? What styles of music do you prefer?

May 6, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 42
Open, closed, doesn't matter? What styles of music do you prefer?

I recently bought my first set of opens and I liked the sound stage. I bought them specifically for gaming, Sennheiser GSP 500s. They were great for gaming but mediocre for music and uncomfortable as hell. I returned them. I got the Sundaras, the atom amp and a blue microphone. I spend a lot of my day listening to classic rock, a little bit of conference calls and some gaming on the weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back