Sundara advice
May 8, 2022 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to save up for Hifiman Sundara and a topping DX3 pro+ and i was wondering if the DX3 pro+ is A.) ideal for the Sundaras and B.) if they're enough to run a Sundara.

I've already tried them in an audio store but I had to run them straight out of my phone because i wasn't able to get the DAC they had, work with my phone and they sounded a bit underwhelming, so i was wondering if a DAC with an integrated amp would fix that.

May 8, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 14
I have a pair and they do sound fine with an amp and DAC. I can't comment on the Topping, but I have an Emotiva BassX A-100 amp and a couple different DACs.
oh, thanks.

May 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 14
I had them for months and a dx3pro will be fine for it. These days I use the Sennheiser hd650 I got used but really nice condition for half the price and would never trade back for the Sundara. It's got excellent detail but the soundstage is deeper and not just wide but shallow, so for gaming it's better.
For the price, when I had the Sundara, the Magni Heresy and Khadas tone board or Topping d10s we're such a good match for them. The extra power let's you equalize and have plenty of headroom for a large preamp reduction.

May 8, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 14
I had them for months and a dx3pro will be fine for it. These days I use the Sennheiser hd650 I got used but really nice condition for half the price and would never trade back for the Sundara. It's got excellent detail but the soundstage is deeper and not just wide but shallow, so for gaming it's better.
For the price, when I had the Sundara, the Magni Heresy and Khadas tone board or Topping d10s we're such a good match for them. The extra power let's you equalize and have plenty of headroom for a large preamp reduction.
Thank you for the advice and I'll take in account what you said about the HD650's too.

I'd also tried the 650s at the audio store but straight out of my phone... Eh.. wasn't great but I'm hoping an amp could fix that:)

May 8, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 14
I'll take on board the DAC advice too

May 9, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 14
I doubt the dx3 pro amp section will be enough to drive them.
I guess with low recorded songs you'll have troubles

May 9, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 14
I doubt the dx3 pro amp section will be enough to drive them.
I guess with low recorded songs you'll have troubles
I'll take that on board

May 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 14
I'll take that on board
You could save a bit more and go for a little stack like e50+L50, could be a definitive setup for non-high demanding headphones ( he6 for example ).

May 9, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 14
dont mind what was here ealier I took your example too literally

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 14
You could save a bit more and go for a little stack like e50+L50, could be a definitive setup for non-high demanding headphones ( he6 for example ).
Ah ok, but I don't have the budget for both the E and the L

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 14
I was using the Sundara on a JDS Labs Objective O2 Dac/amp for awhile and it was plenty loud enough on low gain. I imagine the DX3pro would be able to do better.
Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back