SummitFi EDM Rig - Studio Six vs Liquid Gold vs BHSE / LCD X vs LCD 3 vs SR009
Aug 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #16 of 25
I agree with the suggestions to get to a meet to listen to the gear that you want to buy. Only you can decide what is better and whether it's worth it. That said, I think you should consider the Audio GD Master 9 headphone amp. Why? IMO, it offers as good or better performance than the other amps that you're considering.

The M9 outputs a full 9 watts of class A power where as the Liquid Gold only outputs 25% of its 9 watts or 2.25 watts in class A power. The M9 has more versatility than other 2 amps because it can be used as a preamp in a speaker system. I believe the M9 has more input options than the other 2 amps. Also the M9 is the only one of the 3 amps that offers a remote control and personally I find it very useful.

Comparing the M9 to the Studio Six, the M9 is fully balanced where as the S6 isn't balanced. The M9 outputs 9 watts into 40 ohms where as the S6 outputs about 1 watt. The higher power output of the M9 can be significant when driving some of the hard to drive orthos like the LCD 2 and 3 or the HE6. Most S6 users will spend a considerable amount of time and money tube rolling. For some, tube rolling is fun but for others it's very time consuming and sometimes there's no end to it.

I haven't even brought up the fact that the M9 costs less than half of the other 2 amps because I wanted to show that it plays on a level field with the other amps regardless of cost. The main difference in cost is the fact that the M9 is made in China where as the other two are made in the USA. If the M9 was made in the USA, it would probably cost more than the other two. The M9 is built like a tank weighing in at about 35 lbs versus the Liquid Gold at 12 lbs and the S6 at 27 lbs. All this wouldn't mean a thing if the M9 didn't sound good. I think the M9 sounds great and especially well with the LCD X. I listen to that combination more than my Stax rig. Don't just take my word for it, go over to the Master 9 thread and read other user comments. Many M9 owners use the LCD X and I think it's a synergistic combination. YMMV. Good luck in your search.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #17 of 25
As a primary electronic music listener, I'd try to max out a HD800. I could never get the Audeze's or Hifimans (multiple speaker amps) to the level of satisfaction I get with HD800 for electronic, especially in bass texture and slam. LCD-2 and HE-6 probably came the closest. Also, HD800 is much better for comfort.

Find a dac/amp combo that suits the HD800. The level of bass impact on the right rig will easily satisfy you if you are used to LCD-2, not to mention you'll get much more texture and a speaker like kick. Also, the ambience that electronic music needs cannot be replicated as well by the Audeze's. Hifiman's come close, but the HD800 still do it better.

Also, don't go for LCD-3's (at least not Classic) - they were too damn slow for me with electronic. I preferred the LCD-2 for electronic as they sounded fast and hit harder. IMO give the HD800 a shot with multiple rigs to see if you can find a particular combo that you like. They'll please you from deep house to trance to prog house to dnb to (liquid) dubstep and anything in between. My CAD $0.05.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 25
BHSE is like a 1-2+ year wait, 6 months is a pipe dream.

The sr009 may be a tad bit bright for your liking - still I would personally pick the sr009 off a srm727s modified with the feedback loop over any system short of the sr009 with the KGSSHV or BHSE.

I haven't heard the LCDx or LCD3 on the amps in direct question but I have heard them off many high-end systems including the Apex pinnacle ($10000) and have always been underwhelmed ... at least compared to the sr009.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 25
I don't even know if these are the correct headphones to be looking at for EDM man. EDM's a pretty huge part of my music collection, minus dubstep, and I like the Stax sound as well but i wouldn't use a Stax for EDM. There's not enough weight for the bass. I never tried the 009 with any of the higher electrostat amps though. 

Like Zenpunk, I think the TH900 would be more suited for this genre. Good luck with your search. Wish I had your dilemma. Haha.   

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 25
I own TH900 and LCD3, Liquid gold and in few weeks an EC 4-45.

For EDM music I like both, LCD3 and TH900. If you want something with a hugh kick in sub-bass and airy and spedy high, go listen a TH900. I f you want more texture and organic feeling (distorsion texture), go for LCD3.

The Liquid Gold is sensitive with dac selection and the combo Vega+Lau was one the best I tried with LCD3 (I owned Mjolnir, Taurus, Super 7 and tried Balancing Act , GSX MK2). Lau impact on the speed and micro detail on the LCD3 with a natural sounding.

With the LCD-X, It was too dynamic and fast (also with he-560). I found he-6 too polite for EDM music.

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #21 of 25
  As a primary electronic music listener, I'd try to max out a HD800.

I kinda have to agree... I've also gone through Audezes, Hifimans and Fostexes, but never really got the satisfaction that HD800 gives for all kinds of electronic. Especially with some eq it gives some stupendously kicking and detailed bass while the ambiance extends outside this universe. Many people seem to think/like that "EDM needs moar bass", and yes I like bass shaking me when partying, but I've never heard as tight and visceral bass home as with HD800. (I guess the only worthwhile I've not tested is HE-6 and SR009.. umm and Abyss..)

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 25
  BHSE is like a 1-2+ year wait, 6 months is a pipe dream.

The sr009 may be a tad bit bright for your liking - still I would personally pick the sr009 off a srm727s modified with the feedback loop over any system short of the sr009 with the KGSSHV or BHSE.

I haven't heard the LCDx or LCD3 on the amps in direct question but I have heard them off many high-end systems including the Apex pinnacle ($10000) and have always been underwhelmed ... at least compared to the sr009.

while it could turn into a year for the next batch (i'm hoping 6 months), no way is it 2 years. i have almost all the parts here at this point for the next batch. starting powder coating as soon as the GS-X mk2 parts are out, probably next week

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back