Summer Montreal meet, August 14th
May 16, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all!

Last meet was a big success, and it is quite natural that we follow-up with an awesome summer meet. *** The meeting will happen on the 14th of august!! *** It will be in one of the big Montreal Cegeps in a rented room since we should have a lot of attendies this year.

Please tell us 1)  if you will come and 2) what gear will you bring !

****NEWS July 10th***

Meet has been set to the 14th of august. Here is the venue:

Code:
[color=black][font=monospace] CEGEP DE ROSEMONT, SALLE A-435 6400 16E AVENUE MONTREAL, H1X 2S9[/font][/color]

We have the room from 8 am to 9 pm.

LIST OF ATTENDIES and their gear:

Papomaster
Raysonic cd-128
Music Hall MMF5 + clearaudio aurum beta S + cambridge 540p
Denon SD-5900 modded
ASL HB1
ASL Twinhead
Einar Sound VC-01i
HD600 + Cardas SE
AD2000

Red_Devil_24

Beyer 990/600
Woo Audio 6

______ cwxa99

HD580
Linn Genki

LeMat

Hd650
hd800
to be confirmed

Shotmaker
T1
HE5-LE,
CA 840C 
TADAC Dac/amp

Presently42
DIY stuff (B22, buffalo) and k701 maybe?

AUDIOGROUP
Grados, grados and more grados!

gp_hebert
JH13
Sheer Audio HA-006+
Adcom GDA-600

Kevin. T

- Rega Apollo
- MAD Ear+ HD
- Cayin HA-1A
- RS1i
- HD-600 w/ Cardas cable

Atelier_Audio
Yamamoto!
And many other surprises....

Punk_guy182
- hd650 balanced
- audio-gd phoenix
- audio-gd DAC reference one

• M2Tech HiFace w/ BNC (Jkeny mod)
• Audio-GD Digital Interface (Test Version B with external PSU)

Pompon
- Hd650
- Singlepower Dragon
- Modded behringer src2496 DAC

Killercrush (hopefully)
TC Electronics Konnekt 24D
Soha II
Grado HP2

NormaJean
B&W P5
Sennheiser HD25

Solstice
Hd800
Cec Hd-53r
Stax Sr-404le + sr-007t
Meridian G08.2

May 16, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 130
Quote:
- Would you come?

Yes, absolutely!

- Where would you like the meet to be?

Here's the thing. Where can we meet that is quiet but large enough (and cheap) to accommodate the lot of us?

- When would you want it to be?

Maybe early - mid August? Gives me time to build the Buffalo and (hopefully) fix the Beta22 (which WILL some day be fixed!)

- What gear would you like to listen to?

Pretty much every thing: I love hearing new stuff and comparing different setups.

- What gear would you bring?

See my signature.

May 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 130
I'm certainly interested. The best way to have a cheap quiet meet is to do it as someone's place, I don't think it would be economically viable to rent a room as I doubt we'll be more than 5-6 people. I offered a while ago to do a meet at my apartment, the offer still stands. Philippe, you saw what it looks like so you can judge if it'd be a good place to host the meet. Otherwise, I'm open to other suggestions.

I'll bring everything I have at the moment of the meet (I'm known to buy and sell a lot of stuff like most people here
tongue.gif
).

May 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 130
- Would you come?

Yes !

Not too far from downtown. I just don't have a car. My place is under major renovation but if it's over by then, you would be welcome.

august has my preference

full size rigs

My b22 which should be encased by then.

May 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 130
Indeed, I second Guillaume's suggestion to make it at his place. His basement should be perfect to put a lot of different setups with enough space to move freely between the tables AND have a quieter listening space. I guess we could have 3-4 open setups down there without problems. If there is too much noise there are also some rooms upstairs we can probably use, although that would be up to Guillaume to let us use them.

I'd really, really, really like to listen to the WA2, especially after my late discoveries concerning my AD2000s.... Hopefully my soon-to-come einar amp will be a match with those. Even the GS-1 is not a good match.... but it fares really well with my hd600s, as does the HB1.

Small inside story: my speakers mate terribly with my amplifiers. I bought my Totems after hearing them driven by a SS amplifier (marantz s1) and switching to tubes was NOWHERE near what I expected. Everything is dead under 100Hz... I need to use a sub crossed at 90-100 Hz to get satisfying bass in a 13x10 room. Today, I went to some guy to listen to a pair of triangle lyrr clones, guessing that a 93dB sensitivity would match well with my amps, but OH BOY was I wrong: again, no bass coming from those 3 bass drivers, 100 pounds beasts, and the frequency response was a clear slope upwards on the rest of the spectrum. Switching back to the guy's modest gainclone brought back some very potent bass and evened everything. It was a MUCH more enjoyable setup. As opposed, the paradigm 60v5 I tried last week proved to be a great match for the amps, having a very smooth freq response down to the low 40Hz (tried with test tones) and well-controlled midrange and highs. I also tried some Monitor Audio RX6 at Radio St-Hubert with a primaluna mystère integrated (2xkt88 per channel for 35 watts), and bass was very strong down below, with great dynamics, detail, textures and very good soundstage. I still have to decide but I might be bringing a pair of those home for a serious audition this week 
biggrin.gif

Again, synergy is everything!

May 18, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 130
Speaking of speakers, I have been looking in to potentially making a pair, that I might use them for when headphone listening is not appropriate. My searches lead me to Troels Gravesen's DTQWT, http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008_DTQWT.htm , perhaps mated to the beta24 power-amp, with a balanced beta22 for pre-amp. Not a project that I can realise any time soon, but one can dream....

May 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 130

Quote:
Hey all!

Last meet was a big success, and it is quite natural that we follow-up with an awesome summer meet. Since most of us work, it probably will end up being set during a week-end. Let's bring up some ideas:

- Would you come?
-Yes but I will have to ask my mom before

-Anywhere, except at Nickel's

-June, july, end of august

-everything

-Mad Ear+HD, Goldpoint HP-Pro, Beyer T1

Just some brainstorming to get things started.

May 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 130

Quote:
......I'd really, really, really like to listen to the WA2, ......

Well... I think this time I'll have to bring it but I may need a ride for this :)
I did some comparative listening last night, switching between my 3 cans (K701, HD650 and HF2) and my 2 amps (Wa2 & B22)... bottom line, my K701 will leave soon, and the dynamics between the 2 amps are night and day. Even with tubes, the Wa2 is able to bring up front an amazing amount of details. On the other side, it really lacks the speed and dynamic you can find in the beta. It's more laid back, linear, with a slight emphasis on the medium. 
Anyway, you'll be able to make up your own opinion :)
Looking for a high end DAC now...

May 19, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 130

Quote:
It's not an easy pick between tube and ss.

Analytical = ss
Romantic = tube

If your tube seem slow ... it's because it have less transparency than your B22.

What I said was that was not that easy ! Both amp are very capable of retrieving the tiny details but their presentation is very different. To keep it very simple, one is kicking hard with a very controlled and energetic bass while the other is softer. Speed in sound also enhance the stereo effect (soundstage), making more easy to notice where the sound are coming from. I guess it's all related to voltage swing in the output.
I'll see when my B22 will be finished (damn, guys at hifi2000 are quite slow and not very good at following up) but ultimately, I think I'll let my WA2 go. Guess I'm more a ss guy :)

May 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 130
If you look for Quebec mini-meet, I will host one the 19 june ...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493329/meet-in-qu-bec-val-b-lair-qu-bec-saturday-june-19th#post_6657500

May 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 130
My Einar should arrive anytime soon..... I was told the amp's shipment got delayer a couple of times, but I hope it arrives this week so I can compare it to the GS-1.. Anyway I'm really enjoying the HB-1 + Hd600 combo. I wish we had tried hd650+HB1 at the last meet, it would have been a winner!

As for the summer meet, I will be out of town from july 11th to july 29th, so these dates are out for me. I would suggest early-mid august since that's what seem to suit the most people right now, and we should have more stuff ready by then. Maybe we'll have at least one working B22..... Just kidding guys.

May 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 130
My B22 is dead ... The X-Meridian with Lundhal transformer killed it. We have to work to make it sound good again. In fact, B22 work but sound suck. Probagbly something dead inside ...

By chance I have my working Phoenix!

I use it as preamp on my big Arc VS-110 with my Linn Kaber speaker ... pretty amazing ... I am beginning to think to use speakers now ... but it's very difficult to figure how I can install them in my listening room. They are in middle of the place atm.

May 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #14 of 130

- Would you come?

I'd love to!

As long as it is accessible by public transportation

Whenever, I tend to be free on sundays

I would love to hear GS1000i properly amped

I don't know what you guys would like to hear, I have Hd650s RS-1, Hfi-780, Srh-840 and a little dot mkIII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back