Sum / merge 2-channel signals to mono - unbalanced RCAs
May 24, 2023 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

john61ct

Head-Fier
RCA wanted for unbalanced "consumer" line level -10 dBu both input and output

I am not a DIYer, no matter how "simple" the project - I am willing to pay for OTS ready to go.

Any feedback on this handmade option?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394182979363

Looking to feed a consumer type preamp stereo output to a consumer type monobloc power amp. In fact likely more than one, so "distribution amp" functionality would be great, but if not built-in those are common as standalone to insert after this

combiner / mixer / summing device.

Would prefer passive but am wary about impedance issues, very high on the output but low on the input is what I want, right ?

Ideally includes a high pass filter in the 80-150Hz range, was looking at using Rolls SX45 for that, too bad it has no "Mono high" output to mirror the "Mono low"

If I do still use the Rolls, I do not need additional gain controls.

I see several RDL and other "DI" boxen e.g. Whirlwind PodDI, Rolls DB226, but output is usually balanced pro level voltage, that should never go into a SE input right?

May 25, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Found this: before the speaker output stage, you want your load side to present Hi-Z input. This is especially important as cabling gets longer and devices with weaker signals, to avoid the circuit getting "loaded down".

So, apparently on the input side of these units, source impedance does nor matter, can be either high or low impedance.

Therefore the 150 ohm model's output would be better going to the power amp high-Z input, and if there is ling cabling needed that second output segment should be long and the summing gadget closer to the preamp outputs.

With really long runs then this RDL model can go balanced XLR but in my context, conversion gizmos would need to be added to the chain at both ends.

I hate talking to myself here, could someone give feedback please? hopefully confirming I'm on the right track, but of course any comments welcome.

That eBay gadget sure seems KISS but I dunno the extent that threatens SQ or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back