Suitable Trance Headphones
Mar 7, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

rault

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I've read all of the threads regarding heapdhones for trance music but I didn't find anything to match my needs. First... I listen to ATB, Above & Beyond, Armin van Buuren. Second... do I need open or closed headphones? In terms of sound quality I mean.

I don't mind if they are uncomfortable or are made of any material. The main thing that I want from them is the sound quality for above mentioned music.

Also, here in my country, all of the headphones discussed in other threads are much more expensive. So I want something in the price range of HD 205, HD 212, PX 100. These are also options that I have in mind but I don't know if they fit for this kind of trance music and I also didn't have the possibillty to test them.

I hope I have mentioned all needed information.

What do you think about PX 100? For ATB, Above & Beyond what exactly do I need from a headphone in terms of highs and lows?

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 21
Whatever you deside, don't even consider the hd212. They weren't designed with trance in mind. Actually I don't know what they had in mind when they designed them. Maybe isolation with some boomy bass and piercing highs.

As for what you should look for in a can for trance depends on what kind of trance sub-genere you prefer.
If you like psy and generaly complex trance you should look for punchy bass with non fatigueing highs. And I'd asume that the phones should fast and rather accurate to keep up with the pace of psy.

If you like minimal and full-on then umm.. I dunno it doesn't meter much...

EDIT: eh I just re-read your first paragraph where you state your tastes (it's 12:00pm and i should get some sleep :p).

umm.. generally speaking I personally never liked Sennheiser's sound sig for trance. To lean and distant.
But that was just my experience with the lower grade senn's. Never tried the higher ones but they are out of your budget anyway.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 21
You can try some of the Ultrasone models...enjoy
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

x2

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Out of his price range. Go for the JVC RX700. The bass hits hard and tight and the highs are easy on the ears. I think they're perfect for all sorts of electronica. They're closed so you can crank it and not bother anyone.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 21
i listened to trance my self occasionally but i dont full understand which headphones is actually needed or what i like about it? what is important to trance music? bass? treble? soundstage? mids?

A full closed might be great, open would give bit more soundstage, but i like full sized not on-ear. The music seems to surround me which i very much like:p But strangely in-ear sounds very good as well.

i think maybe treble is bit important it has to be very nice, but not piercing type.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 21
I am interested in a clear and "deep" sound if I can say so. For above mentioned artists and compilations like A State Of Trance.

So you say Senns are not suitable for what I want? How is PX 100?

About open or closed? I repeat...for the music above, what suits better? I don't mind if they are uncomfortable. In the price range of PX 100? What else should I consider?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of his price range. Go for the JVC RX700. The bass hits hard and tight and the highs are easy on the ears. I think they're perfect for all sorts of electronica. They're closed so you can crank it and not bother anyone.

I highly recommend the HA-RX700 as well. As an avid electronica (ASoT, ATB, Tiesto, DJ Inphinity, etc.) listener, I definitely feel like the HA-RX700 hits the lows very cleanly while keeping the rest of the listening experience balanced. These cans are massive, however and I definitely will not recommend you carry them around because you'll look like such a d-bag. The RX700 is also very good for live performances with superb clarity and sound stage. Did I mention it costs 34 USD?

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 21
Well...in my country I don't even find them on the market. Other options? And if not in the mentioned price range... what will be the most appropiate choice in terms of money for what I want?

I didn't saw any opinions about HD 205 / PX 100... closed / open for what I am listening.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

beerchug.gif

x3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back