Suitable portable headphone?
Nov 16, 2011 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

livin4muzik

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I am a budding audiophile who, unfortunately, has shoved her Koss PortaPros into her study bag one too many times and now only one ear is working. I was thinking of using their lifetime guarantee but since they broke just 2 months before my birthday, I've decided to upgrade to a new pair for myself. I am looking for a pair of headphones to suit these specifications...

Portable (This means not gigantic and durable. I tend to be quite clumsy as well, so durability is important)
Replacable/Removable cable (All headphone casualties have been cable related issues with me so I think being able to just replace the cable would save a bucketload of cash)
Closed (I study in a library so less sound leakage is better)
Headphones (not in-ear please)
Price range $100-200
3.5mm jack 

The next few specifications are not necessary but more what I prefer

"Open" sound (Closed headphones tend to sound too cramped and in your head)
Clarity (For example, I prefer defined bass to overpowering, muffled bass)
Natural (I don't listen to techno, house, dance, or any other electronic genre. Mainly RnB, Rock, Blues, and Jazz and the occasional pop, so headphones more suited to the sound of instruments would be preferable)

I've been looking through and just can't make up my mind, so all of your recommendations would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, 
Livin4muzik

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 9
I've been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S as a reasonable candidate but am not sure if the cable is replacable - however reviews show that the cable is very tough and strong so it may not be an issue. Further information on this pair would also be appreciated :)

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 9
No experience with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones, sorry.

I use my headphones at work, akin to library use, and during walks, with at home use a minimal. I settled on Sennheiser HD-25 headphones and Alessandro MS1 headphones. Each of these has its merits with sufficient sound differences to make music "fresh" when listened to with respective headphones.

I think the HD-25 headphones would meet your needs more than the MS1s, considering the library use and desire for replaceable cable - but the sound isn't as open as some want.

The MS1s are open, and with the "quartered" 414 ear pads, are pretty decent with RnB, Rock, Blues, and Jazz IMO. But, they do not have easily replaceable cable. The cable is sturdy, though.

Both theSennheiser HD-25 headphones and the Alessandro MS1 headphones are relatively easy to drive.

For $200, I think you can get both with a bit of patience for waiting for a sale for the HD-25 and  waiting for an eBay (or on the forum) deal on the MS1.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 9
So both the Sennheiser HD-25 and the Alessandro do not need amps? That's good because mp3 players usually do not have enough power for headphones. Thank you for your suggestions, I think I'll take the Sennheiser's into consideration as sound leakage is a really big concern for me; your input is very much appreciated :)

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
So both the Sennheiser HD-25 and the Alessandro do not need amps? That's good because mp3 players usually do not have enough power for headphones. Thank you for your suggestions, I think I'll take the Sennheiser's into consideration as sound leakage is a really big concern for me; your input is very much appreciated :)

If you're aiming for portable, you might also want to take a look at the tma-1, m80 (by vmoda, just searching for m80 will land you in the world of fireworks),or dt1350. The alessandro are good cans, especially since they're grado's. But since you want portable, an open can is one of the worst choices. I know because i use my sr80i on the commute via bus. I only do it because I don't (yet) own closed cans though. I'm aiming for either the vmoda m80 or even the lp2

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 9
The tma-1 seems really great in terms of sound leakage, durability and overall design, but all reviews seem to say they are better suited for techno and house etc. I am worried that the instruments in my blues, jazz and rock may get lost in these - are the tma-1's any good for these genres? Or will using EQ solve that problem?

The m80 seem to have very, very good sound quality reviews and I believe perhaps using some EQ will fix up the "over-polite" treble problem. However, continuous reports of sound leakage and just overall poor noise isolation rules it out for library use which is what I will be using my new headphones most for.

The dt1350 seem like the portable headphones from heaven but they are way out of my price range, unfortunately. I must admit that I am still in college trying to scrounge up enough money for non-microwavable food every once in a while and so an extra hundred dollars is actually quite difficult to come by, even though it definitely seems more than worth every penny. 

If you could tell me if the tma-1's are suited for blues, jazz and rock then I'd definitely take them into consideration. I think aesthetically, they suit me the best and the replacable heavy duty cable seems like a gift from god as well. Thanks in advance!

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 9
If you think beyer DT 1350 could be for you, consider just getting them.
They are portable, they fold flat and come with a no-nonsense bag, they seem sturdy (I am of average clumsiness, and when I handle them I feel I do not need to worry), and sound-wise they are all I ever wanted. Sensitivity is sufficient, too. As it is, I never use anything else any more (so I have a few things to sell), and I would only consider beyer T5p (or maybe T70p?) as a possible upgrade, as I strongly prefer circumaural cans.
I have not heard Sennheiser HD-25.
They are cheaper, supposed to be more comfortable, they sound better for some people, but worse for some others. There is a replaceable cable, but also much more plastic in the construction (still sturdy and replaceable), and portability appears to be not as good (a poach, no bag).
Finally I like[d] Sony MDR V6 very much - a bit less sensitive and rather bright (fine if used with Sansa Clip+, not so nice with Sansa Fuze and even worse with Apple players), cheap (just do not get a counterfeit!!!), sturdy and reasonably portable.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes, I agree I should just get the DT1350s but unfortunately my parents don't agree and won't cough up the extra cash. Sad face. :frowning2:
The Beyer T5P's seem nice, and I've tried the sony MDR V6 and agree with the brightness, which my friend loved and I didn't necessarily like or dislike. And honestly, what does sound good with Apple players? Yeah, not much, aye? They excel in everything except sound quality.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 9
I think I will get the M50's, coiled version as I am honestly only around 160cm tall at the moment and the 11 foot cable would be an absolute nightmare. I will update as soon as I get them on how they are. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back