suitable player for IE8
Aug 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

coreleone

New Head-Fier
I know this is rather difficult to say which player is the best, like S9 or X-1000, however, based on the weakness of IE8, which player is most suitable for that? Thanks!

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 12
After a brief listening experience with the S9 my hunch would be that most folks would prefer the IE8 and S9 combo. I think the S9 would compliment 'dark' phones better while the X would compliment 'bright' phones better.

Two main criticisms of the IE8 are that the mid range and treble errs on the scale of insufficiency. If you're longing for more treble energy then get the S9 although that will come at the expense of the mid-range being a bit more distant than the X. If you're longing for a bit more forward vocals then get the X although the treble may comes off as being a bit too polite for some. It's going to be a matter of compromise and taste IMO.

Personally I think the synergy is better between the S9 and IE8. However, I still find the X and IE8 combo to be more sonically appealing for my tastes. Hope what I said atleast make some sense haha am tired!!

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 12
You're spot on... I found the IE8's a little better with the S9 too. That energy helps for sure. That's not to say you don't hear the same level of detail with them through the X, because it is there, it's just a bit more forward with the S9. If I hadn't heard the IE8's with the S9, I'd still be quite content with them through the X. By contrast the S9 sounds way too aggressive to me with my FX500's and Denon C710's.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two main criticisms of the IE8 are that the mid range and treble errs on the scale of insufficiency. If you're longing for more treble energy then get the S9 although that will come at the expense of the mid-range being a bit more distant than the X. If you're longing for a bit more forward vocals then get the X although the treble may comes off as being a bit too polite for some. It's going to be a matter of compromise and taste IMO.

To me, the main weakness of using IE8 with my IPod Classic is specifically
listening on Rock, the electric guitar and vocal are dark when the music sound loud and complicated. In order to solve this problem, I am think of changing the source from IPC to either S9 or X. I can't be sure the treble or mid-range coming forward is better for rock, any comment? Thanks your detailed explanation.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're spot on... I found the IE8's a little better with the S9 too. That energy helps for sure. That's not to say you don't hear the same level of detail with them through the X, because it is there, it's just a bit more forward with the S9. If I hadn't heard the IE8's with the S9, I'd still be quite content with them through the X. By contrast the S9 sounds way too aggressive to me with my FX500's and Denon C710's.

You seem to have both of them
smile.gif
same question, which player better for using IE8 on rock music? Thanks!

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 12
I think the S9 is a touch better than the X for the IE8's with rock music, for the same reasons stated above. It just seems to light up the Senns better...
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the S9 is a touch better than the X for the IE8's with rock music, for the same reasons stated above. It just seems to light up the Senns better...
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks for your help
dt880smile.png
on the other hand, I am using AIFF in IPC, its simply convert the CD to AIFF by i-tune together with the song information. When I switch to S9, is there any convenient way for converting the CD to wave or sth lossless with song information?

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 12
An experienced audiophile have made a test of the compatibility of AMP3 pairing with the phones. His report shows AMP3 is good synergy with IE8:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...8/index51.html

Good Synergy (sounds better with the AMP3 than other sources):
1. Mingo WM2 (balances the sound; too bassy with other sources)
2. KSC75
3. IE8
4. PAA-1 (buds included with the AMP3)
5. Philips SHE9500
6. Denon C710 (with impedance adapter)
7. Koss KSC-35
8. Sony MDR-F1
9. Westone ES3X
10. Denon AH-D6 Orthodynamic

OK synergy (on the same level with the AMP3 as other sources):
1. Denon C710 (sounds better, but some hiss due to sensitivity)
2. ADDIEM
3) Yuin PK3

No synergy (sounds better with other sources):
1. Etymotic ER4S
2. NuForce NE-7M
3. NuForce UF-30 (harshness and brightness accentuated with AMP3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back