Suggestions to upgrade from HD650/BlueDragon
Jul 22, 2006 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

MikeLa

100+ Head-Fier
I started my quest last December to build a headphone rig (loud music and home are not compatible). After much forum addiction etc… I purchased an Accustic Arts DAC 1 MK3 --> Singlepower Supra --> HD650/BlueDragon. I currently use a NAD C521BEE (digital out) as my transport.

I’ve been staging the system in my office@work where I also use the Supra as a preamp to a NAD C720BEE driving two PSB B25 bookshelf speakers and PSB Subzero subwoofer. My ears hear more detail and air when I use the Accustic Arts/Supra to drive the NAD/PSB equipment then when I use the HD650’s. Mind you this is only a $700 speaker setup.

It doesn’t feel like the HD650’s are doing justice to the Accustic Arts/Supra setup. Will I hear a dramatic difference if I upgrade to Qualia’s, L3000 (if I can find any), GS1000, HP1000’s etc….<you insert headphone here>?

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 33
Me being a Beyer guy would suggest to try some new Beyerdynamic headphones.

My 20' some year old Beyers have much more detail than my Senn. 600.
Actually, comparing my Senn. to my Beyer makes the Senn. sound congested in the mids.

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 33
First thing, go back the stock cable. The Blue Dragon is heavy and warm sounding to me, very Kimber Hero ish.

If thats still too dark, dump the Senn 650 its not your bag or your rig isn't built around it. Since you like the PSB sound you should be looking for a can thats clear, clean and natural if a little lean. What I've always liked about PSB is their speakers sound so effortless, sigh I miss my Stratus Golds
frown.gif

That sounds like the Beyer 880/05e or AKG 701 to me. Both have hard recable options. I wouldn't reach up to the $500+ cans until you find happiness in the crowded $300 market. Some people just can't get into cans. If one of the $300 ones won't bring a smile to your face then the quest is over really.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
I wouldn't reach up to the $500+ cans until you find happiness in the crowded $300 market. Some people just can't get into cans. If one of the $300 ones won't bring a smile to your face then the quest is over really.

Now that's some first-rate advice, nice to see something like this in a forum where 90% of the opinions offered basically amount to 'spend more money'.

+1 for the Beyers as well
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 33
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll try the new DT990 (2006version) 600ohm. Since Beyer doesn't change model numbers when updating versions is it safe to assume if the DT990 has the levelor look it is the 2006 version? Any suggestions on where to purchase Beyer headphones?

Jul 23, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 33
The Beyer 05 models use velour but be careful the 990 is now a chrome finish. The older one is black. You can buy the 250 and 32 ohm variety from Meier and the 600 from no one. But thats ok because you don't want the 600 ohm one. 250 is the default design, the 32 and 600 are comprimises.

The 990 will be more engaging than the 880.

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa
My ears hear more detail and air when I use the Accustic Arts/Supra to drive the NAD/PSB equipment then when I use the HD650’s. Mind you this is only a $700 speaker setup.

So, this means you are looking for detail and air?

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 33
I have a feeling I won't be selling my HD650/Blue dragon... yet at least, but I had a general feeling of less congestion when I first plugged in the dt990s. You have to be careful carving a feeling like that into stone. And I don't want to cable switch on the Senns because I like that total package as it is.

I think the dt990s are more engaging, but I haven't exactly listened to _every_ cd I have yet to compare. For instance, I have a feeling that the Senns may stereotypically do better with classical. Again, that's just a hunch. I'm in no rush here, since I like them both.

I think if you want more air and detail, then the K701, new dt880, new dt990 have go to be on your list of things to listen to. And like I said in another thread, they're all so different, you have to sorta know what kind of sound you want and be happy with the choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 33
The first pair of HD600 were to dark for me, even though I tried the defoaming and aftermarket cables like the Silver Dragon and the RnB Grace. I decided to give them a second chance and after defoaming I selected the Headphile Senn V2 in Black Silver. What a difference! detail, punchy, more treble, veil is gone!

I will second the K701, a mint used one can be had for about $275. Another possibility would be an used Grado RS-2 which to me are better than the K701 and HD600.

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 33
HeadRoom actually has an AKG 701 available for $270 right now from their 30 day return. You lose the return option, but get a clean low hour low priced AKG 701.

Or go for a Moon Black Dragon re-cabled AKG 701 like I did
biggrin.gif
Just hope the Black and 701 synergise better than the Blue and 650, fingers crossed.

Jul 23, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
HeadRoom actually has an AKG 701 available for $270 right now from their 30 day return. You lose the return option, but get a clean low hour low priced AKG 701.

Or go for a Moon Black Dragon re-cabled AKG 701 like I did
biggrin.gif
Just hope the Black and 701 synergise better than the Blue and 650, fingers crossed.

I thought the 650/blue dragon were made for each other. The blue dragon doesn't take the senns anywhere they weren't ment to go. I found the headphile cable was just too bright by a mile. But then again, that's the trend. I just don't think that kind of sound is natural to these ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if it's actually a gender thing? Guys loose the treble, we loose the bass, stereotypically speaking of the natural progression of age and hearing loss. My ears still test as find and dandy though, so maybe it's just preference.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
How exactly does an aftermarket headphone cable add more treble or bass?

The search button is your friend. Read some the reviews of the after market cables, or try some yourself and hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
The search button is your friend. Read some the reviews of the after market cables, or try some yourself and hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hear what, placebo? I obviously forgot the sarcasm smiley at the end of my previous post.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back