Suggestions to spend money (or not)
Apr 13, 2007 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Ooztuncer

500+ Head-Fier
I wasn't sure whether to create a thread here or other sections but in any case here it is (mods, please move this into appropriate section if necessary).

I have around $250-$450 budget to make my overall system(s) better. I have two different rigs (one for home and one for work):

home: denon 3910 > bada ph12 (various tubes) > sony sa5k (40% of the time)

work: philips dvp642 or iriverh120 > darkvoice 336i > hd650 (60% of the time)

What would be the better investment - source, dac, cables (I have stock cables), or headphones.

As you can imagine there are so many choices to spend that money even in minutes but I would like to get the best return on invesment! Please advice - thanks...

EDIT: change of scope - please check post #17

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 18
gentle bump!

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 18
This thread now officially belongs in the headphone forum.

In my humble opinion, anyway; the phones are the most important thing to upgrade first. They will set the tone and overall sound of the entire system like no other component can.

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 18
so are you suggesting to change the cans? I believe I have lot to learn from those cans, anything specific in your mind?

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't sure whether to create a thread here or other sections but in any case here it is (mods, please move this into appropriate section if necessary).

I have around $250-$450 budget to make my overall system(s) better. I have two different rigs (one for home and one for work):

home: denon 3910 > bada ph12 (various tubes) > sony sa5k (40% of the time)

work: philips dvp642 or iriverh120 > darkvoice 336i > hd650 (60% of the time)

What would be the better investment - source, dac, cables (I have stock cables), or headphones.

As you can imagine there are so many choices to spend that money even in minutes but I would like to get the best return on invesment! Please advice - thanks...

Source. Source. Source.. Will break any system..

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 18
First I had a list of questions...

But I'm not going to try and drag the info out of you...lol

I suspect, you should just buy the gosh dang D-2000, you subconsciously at least want to, and quit horsing around doing polls in the Headphone subforums here, asking for enablers
smily_headphones1.gif

Joking aside then....

I do actually think headphones are a better 'investment" as they hold their value better than electronics, and as has been said, will change up the presentation most interestingly for the least amount of money in an existing system.

On the other hand, NEXT......

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 18
hmm, interesting. I was expecting some dac recommendations for my work rig but instead i got headphones or source, lol.

i was also thinking about to buy a source but I just bought the 3910 couple of days ago.

Now, would you buy a better source for work or add a dac to philips dvp642? thanks again...

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 18
Interesting question, what are you looking to improve in the system? Honestly for most sane ears there is a point where it is just like 'ya this is different...not even sure if it is necessary better though...'

Buuut, anyways, do you have a portable rig or even use for one?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting question, what are you looking to improve in the system? Honestly for most sane ears there is a point where it is just like 'ya this is different...not even sure if it is necessary better though...'

Buuut, anyways, do you have a portable rig or even use for one?
evil_smiley.gif

very good questions indeed. I recently changed my 'hobby' from computers to audio and decided to invest whatever I got from selling of my computer to get audio parts.

First I got the bada ph12, then hd650 & sa5k, then decided to build two systems (one for work and one for home) so I ordered the philips dvp642 and pro.usb dac - satisfied but not completely (especially on the hd650 rig - i feel like something is missing). Then I did order the darkvoice 336i along with various tubes (they are still on their way to me). At the same time, I decided to sell pro.usb dac and bought the denon 3910 which definitely improved everything...

I can't really know or define my 'needs', however I would like to get opinions to invest in something that has been already tried before so I don't need to test the waters from the beginning.

By the way, for your other question, I am not in need of a portable rig right now but I would like to get a hornet anyways, hehe!

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 18
Well the thing is, without an objective of what to improve you can't exactly improve ^.^ You have pretty good headphones. I personally finally (after a while) figured out what I am missing and am sitting happy here, but that is really the challenge. If you just feel for trying something new, have you given some Stax a thought? Its something radical that might just find that something for you.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 18
actually I agree with you - prolly I need to spend much more hours with the toys first!! At some point I will tell myself that why I didn't think of it before or why I didn't buy it before - but its called the experience, huh
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 18
xD Ya patience saves alot, especially for the more hungry ones of us around here. I just wish I had more access to listen to things when I was doing this...

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 18
I'd save the money your current set ups are well balanced and complement each other greatly. If anything I might consider an aftermarket cable/recabling for one of your cans...

But really what I reaffirmed at my mini-meet today I'd say I more firmly believe that the division of weight towards sound is something like 60 percent towards headphones/20 percent towards amp/20 percent towards source... Any of the above divisions are subject to a shift +-5-10 percent towards another division depending on personal preference and 5 percent of the headphone sound can be attributed to the cabling you use (Some headphones straight up don't need it). Really, I think it'd be worth it to save the money and go for a next level headphone as that will be the biggest change for you.

I can't really recommend which would suit you the best as HD650s/SA5000s cover both ends of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back