Suggestions to expand the music library in genres that I'm/you're unfamiliar with!
Jan 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RPGWiZaRD

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to expand my music library a bit and I've got lots of genres that are very undiscovered areas for me that interests me although I don't know where to look. So I thought of giving a few examples of music that would be similar to what I'm looking for. I'm sure there are many other people having similar thoughts about wanting to explore unfamiliar territories so feel free to describe the music YOU'RE looking for so we can make this a thread where we can help each other out. :)

First I randomly happened to come over this The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio - never even heard about The National before and this song in in particular is so relaxing to listen to. Another somewhat similar song I can think of would be Snow Patrol - Run that I also like (they should be listened to live, hence the link). These are genres I've not explored at all and would like to know more about, what bands or songs to check out.

Then I'd like to know more talented female japanese vocal artists. No need to mention Utada Hikaru, I already have most of her albums I can get hold of. I know for example of Yuri Chika - I Cry and another would be which isn't japanese but asian or "hmong" to be accurate Whyte Shadow - You are the one I have a soft spot for ballands with that extra "soft" & sweet voice of asian females.

Another genre I'd like to get more examples of is also what I'd call "electro-pop". Good examples of this would be Circ - The Revolution Song or Circ - Somewhere or Robyn - Call Your Girlfriend or Tove Styrke - White Light Moment

Last but not least, I'd like more epic OST suggestions from either movies or anime series, here's one good example from the movie Sunshine and John Murphy that is an excellent compositor 
Sunshine (Adagio In D Minor) and here's another from 1 Litre of tears 1 Litre of Tears - Konayuki

Got any recommendations to above examples? Please share. :)

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 5
I've taken a huge interest in japanese music recently, I love the japanese aesthetic in a lot of ways, even though I don't understand their language.  Inferring from your OP I'm gonna post a few samples, tell me if you like them and if you do I'll post more.

Round Table Feat. Nino - Distance
Sayonara
Toki Wo Koete
Nemurenai Yoru
- I actually like Round Table feat. Nino for their faster and energetic songs, but I felt these were more in line with your OP.  Nino is a good singer to me.

Honey and Clover OST:
Dramatic - YUKI
Waltz - Suneohair

I'll ask for recommendations in a later post...

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for suggestions but it wasn't quite the type of music that is to my liking. For japanese songs I'm looking for mostly beautiful/sad ballads or jpop or even jrock more like Utada Hikaru-style or even trance/dance which is the genre I'm mostly listening to and where my library is already huge. This had too much close to jazz/blues sound for my liking which is my least preferred music. I don't know why but I don't enjoy "happy"/energetic music, it doesn't bring any feelings whatsoever to me. I like for example the Kingdom Hearts II opening song Passion by Utada Hikaru. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mimFrn7zE4

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Röyksopp - Junior, is a great "electo-pop" album. And if you like The National, you'd propably like Arcade Fire as well.

Yea I've listened to Röyksopp before, some songs are quite good I think. Arcade Fire was a positive experience I've not heard previously. Ty :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back