Suggestions similar to Modest Mouse, Wintersleep, and Explosions in the Sky; Help!
Feb 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

unl3a5h3d

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't posted in a while. But I have been listening to a lot of Modest Mouse, Wintersleep, and Explosions in the Sky. I am looking for some other recommendations similar to this. Thanks! 

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 10
The only thing that I have that is somewhat similar to Explosions is a band called "Tortoise". I can't really recommend any particular album because I just got into them myself.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 10
TNT and Millions Now Living Will Never Die by Tortoise, sure, but they're nothing like any of what the OP mentioned, aside from technically being the same genre as Explosions in the Sky.

Try Mogwai's "Happy Songs for Happy People" and then "Young Team" (Happy Songs is more accessible, Young Team requires you listen to the whole album from start to finish or I guarantee it won't make much sense to you).

Additionally, you'll probably enjoy Interpol's "Turn on the Bright Lights".

I mean there are a billion things I could mention but those are very easy to like and a good starting point for future searching.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 10
I agree, Modest Mouse likely learned a few tricks from them, but that's more Modest Mouse's early material. We don't know which albums he's talking about.

Personally, I'd recommend Perfect From Now On first, but some people would certainly disagree.

Quote:
I think Built to Spill sounds a bit like Modest Mouse, though I've only ever heard Keep it Like a Secret. (I should probably delve a bit deeper into their catalog) 

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
TNT and Millions Now Living Will Never Die by Tortoise, sure, but they're nothing like any of what the OP mentioned, aside from technically being the same genre as Explosions in the Sky.

Try Mogwai's "Happy Songs for Happy People" and then "Young Team" (Happy Songs is more accessible, Young Team requires you listen to the whole album from start to finish or I guarantee it won't make much sense to you).

Additionally, you'll probably enjoy Interpol's "Turn on the Bright Lights".

I mean there are a billion things I could mention but those are very easy to like and a good starting point for future searching.

Yeah, I said it was the closest thing that I could recommend. I don't really have much else like that. Who knows, maybe the OP will like it regardless.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 10
I totally agree on Mogwai and I also highly recommend  God is An Astronaut.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Also check out some God Speed! You Black Emperor and This will Destroy You.  
They both are somewhat similar to Explosions in the Sky.   Have really soft parts but then they slowly build it up and it goes back to soft and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back