Suggestions regarding new headphones.
Nov 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EluamousNailo

Head-Fier
I just ordered my first ever tube amp today and I kind of want a new set of headphones to go with it
smily_headphones1.gif

My current system (what it will be when I get the LD) is in my sig.

I'm looking to spend no more than $400, but anything under that is quite alright.

After reading a ton of stuff on here or the past few weeks, I think my current list of headphones that would work are Senn HD650, AKG K601/K701, Grado 225/325, or the DT880 (haven't read anything about other Beyers though)

So with those, what would you guys suggest? Am I missing a great pair to check up on out of that list as well?

I prefer open cans, although I am open to closed as well.

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 8
I would suggest the Senn HD-600/650 or Denon D5000. The HD-595 simply don't do your setup justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EluamousNailo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That will be my new Signature.
bigsmile_face.gif

P.S. Sorry for off-topic D.S.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

I just ordered my first ever tube amp today and I kind of want a new set of headphones to go with it
smily_headphones1.gif

My current system (what it will be when I get the LD) is in my sig.

I'm looking to spend no more than $400, but anything under that is quite alright.

After reading a ton of stuff on here or the past few weeks, I think my current list of headphones that would work are Senn HD650, AKG K601/K701, Grado 225/325, or the DT880 (haven't read anything about other Beyers though)

So with those, what would you guys suggest? Am I missing a great pair to check up on out of that list as well?

Your amp isn't a good choice for grado's. It's a better choice for high impedence cans, ala hd600 or hd650, you can get the 650's on amazon for about 317$ right now. Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD650 Audiophile Open Dynamic Stereo Headphone: Electronics

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Out of that list, I have priced everything out, I just threw the dollar amount in case anyone thought of a different pair than I have looked at.

The HD650s have definitely been at the top of my list and it seems like it would be a great match, I just would like any other suggestions as well.

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Out of that list, I have priced everything out, I just threw the dollar amount in case anyone thought of a different pair than I have looked at.

The HD650s have definitely been at the top of my list and it seems like it would be a great match, I just would like any other suggestions as well.

congrats on the new amp. i couldnt afford the MKIII so i got the MKII. i ordered my HD650s off amazon seller is Sonic Sense. they are an authorized dealer so it comes with the full 2 year warranty. i rather pay a couple more dollars and get the warranty than get it as cheap as possible with no warranty. email them, Marc is really great and will help you out.

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Consider the HD600 as well. I and some others around these parts prefer it to the 650s - the 650s are way too dark for my tastes, although both should sound very nice slotted into your new setup.

I'd get rid of the AKGs from your list - they are very difficult to drive and I don't think the Little Dot will do the job.

If you're going to go Beyer, get a higher-impedance model, it will be a more manageable load for the Little Dot.

My pick, though, would be an HD600 or even a 580. Excellent headphones, and the 580s can be had at a real steal if you're patient and systematic about scanning the FS boards here and at Audiogon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back