Suggestions / Recomendations to Replace SRH 440
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chadsfake

New Head-Fier
  1. Price Range: $150 - $250
  2. Type/Design: Full size headphones, portable headphones, Closed Style don’t want to disturb other commuters , would like them to fold up to store in pocket of messenger bag when not in use, comfortable but hope to not be too hot on ears ( commute is around 1.5 hours each way)
  3. Primary location of use: used for commuting on bus and train, I want to block out outside noise
  4. Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Balanced from lows to highs,
  5. Media: Mostly Rock, with some acoustic and country FLAC files
  6. Source: Samsung phone to Bluewave GET (BT receiver amp) Get Audio specs are 125 mW in 32 Ω, max headphone impedance 600 Ω
I am looking to upgrade from my Shure SRH 440 (with 840 replacement pads) that are getting beat up after 7 years. I like the sound of the 440 but would like to move up on sound quality and comfort as well I find the headband uncomfortable after long periods of use. I dislike the plastic creaky build of the 440s as well so don't think the 840s are what I want to upgrade to unless someone can comment that they are a better build.

I have seen many recommendations for Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm but have not listened to them yet and don't know if they would be a suitable upgrade.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Chad

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 8
You might look into a SoundMAGIC HP151 and see what you think. It ticks most of your boxes and sounds absolutely terrific. Maybe read about it and see what you think. Don't let its modest price fool you--it performs. It is conceivable it could work for you. The DT 770 is a rather v-shaped sound signature, which is quite different than what you outline as of interest. Not sure it would work for you.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones.
Or if you want more bass, ATH-WS99 headphones.

Not sure they would be considered the best for blocking noise, but do offer nice sound quality.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 8
You might look into a SoundMAGIC HP151 and see what you think. It ticks most of your boxes and sounds absolutely terrific. Maybe read about it and see what you think. Don't let its modest price fool you--it performs. It is conceivable it could work for you. The DT 770 is a rather v-shaped sound signature, which is quite different than what you outline as of interest. Not sure it would work for you.

I saw you recommend the ATH-MSR7 in another thread along with the HP 151 , I like the looks of the MSR7 better for commuting how do the two compare in sound? Is the MSR7 worth the extra $ in sound and build quality?

Thanks
Chad

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I like the MSR7. It is a bit less neutral than the HP151 but I would say its build quality is a bit more solid than the SoundMAGIC, maybe. I am not convinced that it sounds better, though. The HP151 is really good. The comfort for the MSR7 has been said to occasionally be a bit of an issue, but that is certainly not for everyone. But if you think you like the MSR7, then I'd say go for it. It's good.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 8
  1. Price Range: $150 - $250
  2. Type/Design: Full size headphones, portable headphones, Closed Style don’t want to disturb other commuters , would like them to fold up to store in pocket of messenger bag when not in use, comfortable but hope to not be too hot on ears ( commute is around 1.5 hours each way)
  3. Primary location of use: used for commuting on bus and train, I want to block out outside noise
  4. Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Balanced from lows to highs,
  5. Media: Mostly Rock, with some acoustic and country FLAC files
  6. Source: Samsung phone to Bluewave GET (BT receiver amp) Get Audio specs are 125 mW in 32 Ω, max headphone impedance 600 Ω
I am looking to upgrade from my Shure SRH 440 (with 840 replacement pads) that are getting beat up after 7 years. I like the sound of the 440 but would like to move up on sound quality and comfort as well I find the headband uncomfortable after long periods of use. I dislike the plastic creaky build of the 440s as well so don't think the 840s are what I want to upgrade to unless someone can comment that they are a better build.

I have seen many recommendations for Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm but have not listened to them yet and don't know if they would be a suitable upgrade.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Chad

The build quality is quite a bit better on the SRH840, especially since that flaky headband cover on the SRH440 is different. However, it still has that "falling off your head issue with the slightest movement" that the SRH440 has.

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 8
The build quality is quite a bit better on the SRH840, especially since that flaky headband cover on the SRH440 is different. However, it still has that "falling off your head issue with the slightest movement" that the SRH440 has.

The biggest thing that bothers me with the 440s is how creaky the plastic is with just the slightest movements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back