Suggestions please for Best Headphone for £250, using a Creek OBH-11 amp
Jan 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Carlosfandango

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there, have recently joined the forum, and may I say what a great source of information it is.... whether dedicated or general information is what you are after, you'd be hard pressed to NOT find something on here, well done to all the mods and contributors.

I've had a search through the posts and can't see this SPECIFIC question being asked... lots of "Best headphone under £400, £300" etc type questions, but not this specific one.

So, I have Creek OBH-11 Amp currently driving Grado SR-80's. However looking to upgrade to a circa £250 (max) pair of headphones.

Immidiatedly the AKG 701/702 comes up on searches as does the Grado midrange, plus a few Senn HD's.

I listen to music in the following ways:
Ipod Dock Carbon Edition 2 (no headphone jack, so not really relevant
regular_smile .gif
)
Ipod
PC - Laptop via Creek
Arcam Alpha 7SE CD Player Via Creek
Thorens TD280 TT Via Creek
OR
All of the above via an Arcam Alpha 8 Amp

Musical taste vary, but MOSTLY it's Brit Rock type, Kinks, Faces, Stones, Beatles, Oasis, Razorlight, Kasabian, Ocean Colur Scene, Paul Weller etc

OR

Chilled/Lounge type atmospheric music like Pink Floyd, Gomez, The Doors, Zero 7, Hooverphonic, Eels, Beck, Morcheeba, Royksopp, Air etc

And then I'm a sucker for NWA, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Eminem, Public Enemy etc.

-------------------

Any and all advise would be greatly appretiated. And while I understand that listening is subjective and personal I'd like to at least start with as close to possible the best that my money can buy for me. If I fail to get on with whatever I choose (because of some odd personal objection!) I'll have to visit the Sale/Trade section of Head-fi.org
L3000.gif

Many thanks in advance to those that reply

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 11
First you need to decide whether you really like the Grado sound already, and how it works out with your music so far. If you do then it makes sense just to get a Grado higher up the line. If you don't then you have other options. Even if you only like the Grado for the rock side of things, you could keep that for use there and get a different headphone to cover the other music.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 11
To be honest I'm a little dissapointed in the Grado. I read a lot on here and other sites that the SR-80 is actually a pretty decent phone, especially for the price.

I find that they lack the detail I would really like. If I spent 2 or 3 X's the money I spent on the SR-80's on SR-225 or 325's and had a similar complaint, I'd be massively dissapointed.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 11
Don't look for a phone to 'match' your amp, make the sound you want the first consideration, and that comes from the headphones.

The AKGs are probably going to need something higher powered to get the best from them.

If you like Grado, as suggested, go up the range, but UK prices on new suck, so you won't get far up the range for the money.

I listen to quite a lot of the same stuff and went from an MS1 (SR125 equiv) to a closed phones, Beyer DT250 and they are very good for a closed; more detail and laid back. For quality open phone duty, I sprung for an RS2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest I'm a little dissapointed in the Grado. I read a lot on here and other sites that the SR-80 is actually a pretty decent phone, especially for the price.

I find that they lack the detail I would really like. If I spent 2 or 3 X's the money I spent on the SR-80's on SR-225 or 325's and had a similar complaint, I'd be massively dissapointed.

What are you using them with? Good phones don't do it all by themselves.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Drubbing
What are you using them with? Good phones don't do it all by themselves
-----------

Hi there and thanks for you input.

I don't understand what you mean by 'what am I using them with'? You mean what amp? I stated that in the original post so am a little lost as to what you mean.

You also say 'If you like Grado, as suggested'... when in fact I said I was dissapointed with the Grado's!

I'm wondering if you are replying to my post or not... apologies if I am being a bit thick....

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't look for a phone to 'match' your amp, make the sound you want the first consideration, and that comes from the headphones.

The AKGs are probably going to need something higher powered to get the best from them.

I find this somewhat contradictory. First you say "don't look for a phone to 'match' your amp", but then you go and say that amp won't get the best from the AKGs. Saying that amp won't get the best from the AKGs is surely talking about amp matching.

Back to you, Carlosfandango, is there anything else you don't like about the Grados? Detail is just a single word and makes it difficult to suggest anything. If really all you don't like about them is the lack of detail, then search for some topics comparing the Grados higher up in the list and see if they provide more detail. If there is something about the presentation of the sound you don't like then we can start to suggest some other options.

From what I hear the K701 can be very dry on the wrong equipment, and many prefer tube amplifiers to get the sound they like from them. In this regard the K601 would be a better bet because it has a warmer presentation even if it is fairly neutral still. Both are known for a large soundstage; depending on the music you will feel much further away from the action compared to the Grados. Also note that the K601 is supposedly not as detailed as the K701 (I haven't heard both to say by how much), and whether it will be considerably more detailed than the SR-80 I do not know.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Hi there, have recently joined the forum, and may I say what a great source of information it is.... whether dedicated or general information is what you are after, you'd be hard pressed to NOT find something on here, well done to all the mods and contributors.

I've had a search through the posts and can't see this SPECIFIC question being asked... lots of "Best headphone under £400, £300" etc type questions, but not this specific one.

So, I have Creek OBH-11 Amp currently driving Grado SR-80's. However looking to upgrade to a circa £250 (max) pair of headphones.

Immidiatedly the AKG 701/702 comes up on searches as does the Grado midrange, plus a few Senn HD's.

I listen to music in the following ways:
Ipod Dock Carbon Edition 2 (no headphone jack, so not really relevant
regular_smile .gif
)
Ipod
PC - Laptop via Creek
Arcam Alpha 7SE CD Player Via Creek
Thorens TD280 TT Via Creek
OR
All of the above via an Arcam Alpha 8 Amp

Musical taste vary, but MOSTLY it's Brit Rock type, Kinks, Faces, Stones, Beatles, Oasis, Razorlight, Kasabian, Ocean Colur Scene, Paul Weller etc

OR

Chilled/Lounge type atmospheric music like Pink Floyd, Gomez, The Doors, Zero 7, Hooverphonic, Eels, Beck, Morcheeba, Royksopp, Air etc

And then I'm a sucker for NWA, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Eminem, Public Enemy etc.

-------------------

Any and all advise would be greatly appretiated. And while I understand that listening is subjective and personal I'd like to at least start with as close to possible the best that my money can buy for me. If I fail to get on with whatever I choose (because of some odd personal objection!) I'll have to visit the Sale/Trade section of Head-fi.org
L3000.gif

Many thanks in advance to those that reply

Based on your music preferences the AKG 701 would not be the best choice. I prefer my Shure SRH840 for rock. The AKG are great for classical and jazz. I also use a Little Dot MK11 for driving them. I would look at cans like the Shure or the Denon 2000. I haven't heard the Denons yet but own the other two as well as Denon 1001k which are also good for rock but not as good as my Shure SRH840.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Back to you, Carlosfandango, is there anything else you don't like about the Grados? Detail is just a single word and makes it difficult to suggest anything. If really all you don't like about them is the lack of detail, then search for some topics comparing the Grados higher up in the list and see if they provide more detail. If there is something about the presentation of the sound you don't like then we can start to suggest some other options.

----------

yeah apologies for my simplistic description!

I'm not up with the technical terms employed when describing music, soundstage, detail etc... so I'll just say it as I would to a layman.

I'd like to hear finer detail in the recording. Intake of breath from a singer, fingers sliding on a guitar string, each instrument being played clearly. I want to sound as if I'm sitting in front of the player/singer.

I guess, this is what we all want, and I'd have to spend hundreds of pounds to achieve it?

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

yeah apologies for my simplistic description!

I'm not up with the technical terms employed when describing music, soundstage, detail etc... so I'll just say it as I would to a layman.

I'd like to hear finer detail in the recording. Intake of breath from a singer, fingers sliding on a guitar string, each instrument being played clearly. I want to sound as if I'm sitting in front of the player/singer.

I guess, this is what we all want, and I'd have to spend hundreds of pounds to achieve it?

Well those things are heavily dependent on the recording too. Taking Coldplay as a worst case example for brit pop, I don't think I have ever heard Chris Martin breathe in on a recording, and these days the mastering on their music produces enough distorted loudness that you won't hear fingers sliding on a guitar string
tongue.gif

Anyhow, if you want to absolute most detail out of the headphones you listed, go for the K701. I'd say the K601 or HD600 would be safer for producing a good sound on your equipment though, especially if you find it hard to hear any of those details in any recording with the SR-80.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I read a lot on here and other sites that the SR-80 is actually a pretty decent phone, especially for the price.

I find that they lack the detail I would really like.

Carlosfandango, happy new year to you!
If you like a detailed headphone, may I suggest to you AKG K701.
P.S. I'm a Grado SR60 user, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back