Suggestions or Ideas
Apr 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ChicagoNB

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all!!!!  Ok first off, I've been a head-fi memeber for a long time and I know that asking my question can lead to vastly different opinions and some VERY expensive ones.  But in the realm of dedicated source gear, I'm all noob.  Here's my dilema:

I just moved to a new apartment.  I have the following setup.  Hi-def tv, Blu-Ray, Tivo HD (Series 4), and an iPod.  The only receiver I have is an older (but high end) Dennon receiver.  Problem is it only accepts analog input and only the Tivo has analog output for an audio signal.  Everything else is digital or HDMI.  So, I can only get my Tivo to run thru my stereo set up at the moment. 

QUESTION - Am I missing some small piece of equipment that can make the rest of my stuff work with the older Dennon or is the older Dennon ready to be relegated to the basement storage?  If it is ready to buy a new one, recommendations on what I should get.  The only kicker is that I have a smallish place.  I don't need mega watt receiver to power 20 speakers or turn my place into a disco palace.  I have a brand new set of Warfdale bookshelf speakers, a set of Orbs and a set of Boston Accoustic book shelf speakers.  What are some simple or cheap-ish solutions to help get me a unified stereo system that plays nicely with my tv, Tivo, blu-ray and iPod?  What should I be looking for in a new receiver to make this all work? 

Or does anyone have any thoughts on a cable or method of setting all this up that I am missing that doesn't require new equipment?

Thanks in advance and please be gentle to me and my 401k!!!!!

Chris

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 5
You might want to take a look at the Oppo BDP-105, it has everything you might need and I think with it in your system you could use your older Receiver. It's something I plan on getting after I get a new headphone amp. It isn't really a cheap solution like you were wanting, but it's a wonderful new piece of gear. After I did some reading on it I was pretty amazed at what it does. Other than that, there might be type of HDMI switching box you could get, or like you said, maybe a new receiver. The oppo is at least worth a quick look. Good luck finding a solution, with all the gadgets out there I wouldn't be surprised there's something to fix your situation.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check it out and let you know. 

What type of Amp are you in the market for?  Portable or home?

Chris

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Another quick question I had.  My tv has an out put labeled "Digital Audio Out".  My Tivo has a spot labeled Digital Audio but does not say in or out and is not near any of the other in or out connectors.  Could the Tivo Digital Audio jack be used as in INPUT so I can hook either my Tv or Blu-Ray player to the Tivo.  The Tivo has an analog out jack that I've got hooked up to the receiver. 

OR  Could I run the HDMI cable out of my blu-ray into the Tivo box and then up to the Tv?  Is that a possibility?

Help me out folks!!   LOL  I really don't wanna drop $1k on a new receiver just yet, maybe in a year I will but having just moved, I am as poor as they come.  Tax time didn't help either!!!

Chris

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 5
So is there anyone on here who's a Tivo exper that can help answer my question??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back