Suggestions on Sony or Pioneer CD players please?
Jan 3, 2003 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

emlee

New Head-Fier

I'm "intrigued" by DVD-A and SACD, but outside of the very expensive CD players, most are combo DVD players and I'm really just looking for a CD player, and my guess is that the combo players are compromising audio quality, maybe I'm wrong.

There's a chance I can get a generation or so behind current models since they may have a new leftover, so please don't be afraid to include an older model in your recommendation.

I plan on using analog RCA out since I don't have a DAC for my Parasound P/LD-1000 preamp and Parasound HCA-1500A amplifier.

How's the Pioneer Elite brand of CD players? I only want a single deck player and the current models seem to only be huge 400 disc changers.

Jan 4, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Re: Pioneer - their best sounding CD players are probably their CD Recorder models. Mainly the single drawer models with their stable platter mechanism. The PDR-609, PDR-05 & Elite model recorders are classics with fairly high resale value (if you change your mind in 6 months). These are about the only thing in home audio, with Pioneer on the label, still worth paying money for IMHO.

Reporting from Pioneer Hell, Arkansas.....

Jan 4, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 13
I've used Pioneer CD players for years. My experience has been that they make solidly built equipment which produces pretty decent sound.

I've recently sold an Elite changer, and I miss it a lot. I also had one of their recorders (509), and though I had little use for the record feature I would agree that it also produced better than expected sonics.

I've got absolutely no experience with their DVD players. That said, I've heard absolutely nothing about their DVD players that would cause me to question that conclusion. There are a couple of folks floating around who swear by them, especially those who have had theirs modded by Dan Wright at ModWright.

I have little personal experience with Sony, but I understand that they are pretty reliable as well. Hope this helps.

Jan 6, 2003 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 13
I don't think the Pioneer DVD players give up much on sound quality compared to the CD players. In addition, the DVD players have a lot of folks who do mods on them which the CD players do not.

If you are interested in DVD-A and SACD a good potential choice would be the Pioneer 47Ai. This could always be modded later by someone like Dan Wright to give great sound (check his web site www.ModWright.com, or better still the discussion forum at http://www.HarmonicDiscord.com, he is still playing with mods on the 47Ai, he tried with the 47A but it didn't work out). This runs around 700 street price. For 400 or so, there is the 45A which is pretty much the same player without the firewire output. I would make sure you like the stock sound though, even after mods the players will generally keep some of their original character. So Pioneers will tend to have a more laid back sound versus SONYs which will tend to be brighter and more detailed.

Dan did work on my Pioneer 38a and the results are impressive, so I can definitely vouch for his skills.

If you are thinking of going the modded route, there were a couple of 525s up on Audiogon recently which were modded by Dan and I think EVS. These would probably be good values although they didn't have the details of what mods were done, so I couldn't say for sure.

Greg

Jan 6, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't think you can go wrong with Pioneer Elite. I have the PD-65 CDP with stable platter mechanism - purchased in 1993 and still working beautifully. And for a 10 year old CDP, it still blows away most DACs, sound-wise. (Although I now use a Van Alstine DAC, the PD-65 is still very listenable.) I don't have any experience with Pioneer Elite DVD players, but their reputation is solid - for both video and audio playback.

Believe me, Pioneer Elite equipment is built like a tank. And for their price range, they are perhaps the best deal out there, period.

The only thing I would suggest is to wait a few more months. The 45a player has a better reputation for audio quality than the more expensive 47i. The 45a lacks firewire input, though. Now that firewire has been declared the official standard for DVD-A, expect new Pioneer Elite models very soon - all with firewire of course. You may have no use for it now, but you will in the future.

Besides, anyone who buys first generation SACD and/or DVD-A players which lack a hi-rez digital out are simply crazy. No way would I ever do that.

Jan 7, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 13
Pepzhez, are you sure you're thinking of the 47Ai? The 47A got a lot of knocks, but from what I've seen the 47Ai has gotten much better feedback particularly the SACD which is supposed to be much improved.

Greg

Jan 7, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Like I said, I have no experience with these units. Word around Audio Asylum is that lots seem to prefer the 45a for audio playback over the 47i or whatever it's called. How true is that? I have no idea.

Jan 7, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepzhez

Now that firewire has been declared the official standard for DVD-A, expect new Pioneer Elite models very soon - all with firewire of course. You may have no use for it now, but you will in the future.

Besides, anyone who buys first generation SACD and/or DVD-A players which lack a hi-rez digital out are simply crazy. No way would I ever do that.

I thought the record companies were fighting any kind of digital outputs on the DVD-A and SACD players. Guess I'm waiting till the dust setttles on this.

Jan 8, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 13
DVD-Audio has a standard for firewire, but SACD does not. There is some bad information on Pioneer's site which says that the 47Ai outputs both SACD and Firewire, but it really only outputs DVD-Audio from what I've heard. Should be interesting to see if Sony comes up with a digital out standard or decides the copy protection is worth the lack of bass control in the digital domain and ability to implement third party DACs.

Greg

Jan 8, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Of course then the question becomes, what component will you have to buy to utilize the firewire.

Jan 8, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Of course then the question becomes, what component will you have to buy to utilize the firewire.

Most of the Sony video and A/V computer stuff is already using firewire under the name iLink. We are supposed to be seeing HT receivers with firewire inputs now, but I haven't (are there any?) But then digital TV is supposed to have replaced analog by now also.

Jan 8, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Ugh it's all so silly. Just getting the public to "upgrade" their equipment more often IMHO. Like I said earlier, I'll wait for the dust to settle on all this.

Scott

Jan 9, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Well, my Sunfire Theater Grand III preamp has the firewire port, but so far does not decode SACD or DVD-Audio. I would expect this to change in the future though. And since my 38a doesn't have a firewire port it will be time to upgrade but I bought the 38a as a shortterm solution and figure I will buy another better player in a couple more generations.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back