Suggestions on possible upgrades...
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EluamousNailo

Head-Fier
I've been looking around and can't really find any of the answers I'm looking for, and I'm not really sure where to put this since it deals with a couple issues, but here seems as good as any...

But anyways, I currently am using a Behringer UCA202 that runs from my PC to my Sony receiver to power my passive bookshelves. But I recently a pair of HD595s and while I am planning on just using the receiver for the time being, is it possible to run a DAC and amp from my PC for the headphones and also have the receiver plugged in as well? Or could they all be plugged in series together at all? If so how would that work, and would it be a good idea to get a sound card as well.

Sorry, I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to amps and dacs and all that, but I'm really intrigued by getting the best sound possible out of my headphones.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 8
I don't think there's too many things that wouldn't be an upgrade. Start with an audio-gd Compass? It would work fine with your receiver as a dac-preamp too.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Hmm...Interesting, I haven't seen that before.

So if I were to get that, would I just go from pre-amp to receiver? And with the dac out does that mean that it would be possible to get a dedicated amp down the road too and just plug it into that?

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 8
EluamousNailo, your Behringer UCA202 has a built in DAC which is fed from your computer via USB. The Behringer has various outputs like digital, analogue, and headphone (BEHRINGER: UCA202).

So with the current gear you have you could connect your headphone to the Behringer and run the RCA outputs as an input to your receiver. If you wish to get a better DAC then you would either used the digital outpug of the Behringer to feed the new DAC or better yet get a new/better USB DAC and take the Behringer out of the loop.

Good luck.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the help so far...I think I'm starting to figure this stuff out finally lol...

If I were to get a DAC without a USB input would it be something like UCA202 > DAC > Headphone amp > Receiver?

And then with a USB DAC would it be - USB DAC > Headphone Amp through DAC out as well as Receiver through preamp out?

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EluamousNailo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were to get a DAC without a USB input would it be something like UCA202 > DAC > Headphone amp > Receiver?

I think you would probably get a DAC/amp in that situation (that would have the headphone amp and the DAC in the same box). If it had an RCA out, you could connect it to your receiver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EluamousNailo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then with a USB DAC would it be - USB DAC > Headphone Amp through DAC out as well as Receiver through preamp out?

I would imagine you would buy a USB DAC with not only a headphone amp, but also the ability to act as a pre amp. Benchmark, for instance, makes just such a thing, as do many others I'm sure. You could check out their website. What's your price range? I am hardly the most experienced person in these matters, but for some reason, people aren't leaping to your aid, so if I post, it betters your chances of someone giving you information, after not being able to resist jumping all over me.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back