suggestions on headphone amps
Jul 19, 2001 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jacobh

100+ Head-Fier
I've got some money saved up from the summer, so I was looking into buying a headphone amp. Normally, I would search the Headwize forums for info, but they are still down
frown.gif

The two headphones I use are Sennheiser HD580 and Grado SR-60. I notice that my 580's sound much fuller when connected to my reciever (an old Yamaha pro logic unit) compared to a portable cd-player. I guess I am not really hearing all there is to hear from my 580's so I was looking into buying an amp.

Portability is nice, but not a great concern since I primarily use the grados on the road. I am looking for something not too expensive that will help me get more out of my 580s. Making the grados sound better would be nice also.

The two amps that have stood out to me are the X-Cans V2 and the Total Airhead.

I built a cmoy standard amp on a breadboard last summer to see if it improved my sound. I didn't really notice much improvement, but then again I used spare components I had sitting around. I don't mind building something, but I usually find it a hassle to track down stuff from a component list.

Anyone have any stories about these amps with these headphones or other recomendations.

Thanks.

Jul 19, 2001 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 20
Hi

As you have stated the X-cans-v2 is probably your best bet for the 580's as virtually everyone on here (Raymondlin, Duncan etc) have said that it is a killer combo
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately (?) I have had no experience with Grado's so can't comment! I think Duncans just bought some though, and said that they don't match to well with the Grado's
mad.gif

Good luck, let us all know what you decide!

In case you are wondering I have recently got an x-canv2 and x-psu with senns 565 ovations
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm just guessing your price range here, but there are some options round 300$:

-Creek OBH11 (200$), solid-state, should do pretty good, most really like em, some say it's not able to drive the 580/600 properly.. My pick if you want a simple reliable amp.

-X-Can V2 (270$? just guessing here), tube, but reportedly not as tube-like as other tube based amps. Most don't seem to have any troubles with it, but I don't have a high impression of this one. I listened to a unit woth a lot of hiss, don't even want to talk about the pot..

-Mg-Head (just over300$ I guess), also tube, some reliablebility problem, not too worrying tho. Should pair really great with the Senns.

-Corda (also just over 300$ IIRC), solid-state, adjustable (!) crossfeed, a high and a low impedance (for Beyers mainy) output. very allround. Definately my pick, if you can swing the dough tho.

Jan Meier is also busy with a portable headphone amp, with crossfeed, that will going to compete with the TA. Many prefer his crossfeed to the Headroom's (which would have some boosted bass and rolled off highs..). Will be going for 125$, tho that is not a definite price, preperations still on progress. I'm waiting for this one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2001 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 20
Braver, you guessed my price range right.

If there are concerns about the Creek not being able to drive Senns properly, I might stay away from it. One thing I would like to avoid is spending $100-200, then a month later saying "I bet such and such would sound better" and wind up spending another $300 bucks. That said, I can't afford a $700 dollar amp.

I have a question on the tube amps? How often do you have to change the tubes? I don't mind the maintenance, but if I have to spend $50 bucks on tubes a year, the price difference to a Corda is negligible.

I know a lot of mail order places have 30 day trial periods, but does anyone know of a place in Portland, OR where I could perhaps audition some of these amps?

Jul 19, 2001 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 20
Ok...

X-Cans V2 and Grado (125s) to my ears is a VERY good combination, a LOT better match than I had with the Sony CD1700s, that was why i was previously sceptical of the X-Cans ability (only got the Grados today)

With the Senns, as already mentioned... this is a killer combination... very, very good
smily_headphones1.gif

As to lifespan of the tubes... I think its different for each model you look at, but reportedly the stock tubes in the X-Cans are good for 10,000 hours of use (meaning, power running through them, whether music, or silence)

Many people have said you get better results out of changing the tubes straight away... As i've not done that, I can't comment
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 20
Aren't Tyll and Todd from Headroom swinging by the Northwest area soon? check the general discussion forum. They should bring tons of headphones and amps for you to try out.

i don't know when this is or if it's already happened of what. i'm actually looking to buy an amp in the same price range for my Senn HD-600s and Etymotic ER-4S headphones, so any conclusions you reach would be much appreciated.

Jul 20, 2001 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 20
The MG-Head is sweet.
Didnt like the Creek (although most people do).
Have heard mixed reviews on the X-cans.
Very good reviews on the Corda.

I suggest the MG-Head (tube) or Corda (SS).

Jul 20, 2001 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 20
Braver.
It is not true that OBH11 cannot drive HD580/600 properly. I use OBH11 with the 600s and to me the combo works great. I never have to turn the volume knob further than 11 o'clock and the sound is great. The amp is dead silent and very reliable. Works great with Grados also.
X-canV2. makes a good combo with Senns, but IMO sounds too bright with Grados. It also comes with cheap stock tubes and volume pot. To exchange the tubes you have to open the unit which voids the guarantee-not nice.
Haven't tried the rest but it looks to me that Corda is a better offer at least than X-can. It's well built uses quality components and have adjustable crossfeed filter.

Jul 20, 2001 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 20
Braver~

I have no hiss problem with my xcanv2. Maybe ur local dealer's is not working properly ? or some interconnect problem ?

Tides

Jul 20, 2001 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 20
blr, it's just what I've heard from other people. I've never heard the creek, and to be honest, I don't doubt it's abilities. Just what I've heard.

Tides, that could very well be the problem. Just that a lot of other people have mentioned the pot problem (if it's half as bad as it was on the unit I used, it's bad enough for me to not care about this amp). the hiss could be an interconnect problem, true. tho davidcotton reported to have the same problem. I just don't trust it. it looks okay overall (no beauty tho), but the pot isn't trustworthy enough IMO, seemed really cheap for an otherwise quite sleek amp.

basically, don't pay to much attention to my opinion of those amps, only heard the X-canV2 so far. if the reviews are somewhat reliable, I'd pick the Corda any day over all other amps in the price range, but that might just be me.

Jul 20, 2001 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 20
It is not the Creek driving abilities, i.e. the ability to power the Senns. Some people have stated that X.Can V2 and MG Head render a superrior sound reproduction. Since I've never done a direct A/B comparison, (not to mention that I've never even seen a MGHead in a flesh) with the MF amp I cannot comment on that. Let's don't forget that OBH11 is a budget amp after all, it costs 100-150 USD less than the rest. I wouldn't even put it in the same price category.

Jul 20, 2001 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 20
My MG Head works great with my Senn 580's and Grado 325's. No hum/hiss or noise of any kind. Tube amps are more finicky than SS however, so you have to take that into account. I managed to demo my MG Head at a retailer and then bought the exact unit I demoed, so I knew I wasn't going to get a dud.

Also with tube amps, at some point down the road (2, 5, or whatever years depending on your usage) you will have to replace tubes.

Jul 20, 2001 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 20
I concur with mbriant, the MG Head is a great amp for the Senn 580. I demoed the amp for 2 hours before I made the purchase. I've had the MG/580 combo for about 3-4 months and this is still my main listening option. For the first 2 month I used the stock tubes. The detail was unbelievable, the bass was tight and controlled especially for jazz and classical music. For dance, trance, etc the bass was lacking a bit. I did a bit of tube rolling (Mullard CV4004 and a pair of Yugo El 484s) and bought the Clou Red Jaspis. That upgrade gave me more detail and a bit more bass, still without being fatiguing.

Any of the above mentioned amps are great buys, but for my money the MG Head is the winner. Just remember to demo and listen. Whatever makes your music sound better, that's the one.

mbriant, I've only had my 325s a week. How do you like the 325/MG combo. PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

Regards - reynman

Jul 20, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 20
My biggest problem is being able to audition these amps.

The creek might provide a cheaper solution if I like the sound.

The corda at $250 unassembled seems like a better deal though

I'm very interested in X-cans V2, but I can't figure out if it's sold in the states anymore.

I like the way the MGHead looks, but ~$330 from headroom is pushing the top of my budget.

I might order both the Creek and MGHead from headroom and then return which ever one I decide I don't want. They seem a little on the pricey side, but the 30 day guarentee would be really useful here.

As for the Corda, I don't know about possibly being stuck with an amp I don't like for $250. I imagine I could find someone who would be willing to buy an assembled Corda for $250 so it would only cost me time to build if it isn't what I want.

Jul 20, 2001 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 20
Don't forget about the Headroom Little. I returned my TA and got the Little instead. So far I am very happy with it. The pros:

1. The "old" Little is currently on sale at $199. If they have some b-stock around, you can essentially have it for the same price as a TA.

2. Sound is better than the TA (the only thing I can compare it to)

3. Switchable Filter to make up for the (unacceptable) treble loss in the Headroom cross-feed circuit, which the TA didn't have.

4. Has crossfeed (some love it, some hate it) and the Creek doesn't.

The cons:

1. Headroom cross-feed circuit increases bass

2. No off-switch

3. I have no comparison with anything other than TA

Hope that helps
Legoman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back