Suggestions on first 2 channel system
May 5, 2008 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sofronitsky0423

100+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to get some advise on components for my first 2 channel system. I'll need pretty much everything. I'd like to keep it at or around $5000 and I don't mind buying some of these used (the speakers for example) if I can find them. Music is on my PC in lossless format and will be fed via USb to the DAC.

Benchmark DAC1 Pre (or USB)

Parasound Halo A21 AMP

Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers.

Please suggest some decent affordable cables and a power conditioner/bar for at least 5 components (HDTV, Bluray player, Reciever that I already have... and the two components above)

May 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofronitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to get some advise on components for my first 2 channel system. I'll need pretty much everything. I'd like to keep it at or around $5000 and I don't mind buying some of these used (the speakers for example) if I can find them. Music is on my PC in lossless format and will be fed via USb to the DAC.

Benchmark DAC1 Pre (or USB)

Parasound Halo A21 AMP

Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers.

Please suggest some decent affordable cables and a power conditioner/bar for at least 5 components (HDTV, Bluray player, Reciever that I already have... and the two components above)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about the cables or power conditioner at this point. Save for them later if you still want higher end ones.

The Gallo speakers are supposed to be great. Don't know much about the electronics. Look around and listen as much as you can. Also, I'd advise buying everything used (not too old, of course.)

May 8, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Cable is important, say what you will, you need a "good" quality cable. I agree that the whole high end audiophile cable thing is a little over exagerrated, but make sure you get decent cables.

I highly recommend Blue Jeans cable. I was running cheap Nexxtech cable from CircuitCity on my home stereo rig, and when I switched to Blue Jeans Belden, I could definitely tell an improvement. It was like someone opened up a cellophane wrap off the speakers or something.

So I would recommend the Belden speaker cables from Blue Jeans and their RCA cables for the stereo. I am not sure if their video cables make a difference, cos I havent tried them, and I am not "videophile" and to my eyes, my cheap component and HDMI cables look good enough.

May 8, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 5
What made you decide on the A21?

What do you consider affordable? For power conditioning this PureAv unit is pretty nice, I bought two and they are great for $55. I like PS Audios units alot, but a Quientet will be closer to 10x the price of the PureAv.

As for cables I will throw down my usual recommendation of Belden 89259. Great cable, well shielded, and teflon dielectric. If you want to go cheaper perhaps 1505 is more up your alley, you can get it at BJC for $35/pr.

May 9, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 5
$5k is a nice budget for a 2ch system. Is this strictly 2ch? How large is your room and what type of music do you listen to mostly?

I'd normally say listen to speakers FIRST, and spend a good chunk of your budget there. Since you want a DAC1, that's $1k, so you're down to $4k for speakers and an amp/integrated. I'd probably suggest getting an integrated amp (a good one) and skip on the DAC1 pre. I think it would get you more options down the road.

The Gallo speakers run about $2k used. That leaves $2k for amplification. You need to make sure the amp is completely 4ohm friendly. An amp that is properly designed for the current between 4 & 8 ohm will double the output at 4 ohm. The Parasound is less than double. An example: BAT VK-300x Integrated Amplifier

Regardless, I don't know how much speaker listening you have done, but I'd suggest you start there and then figure out what to do on amplification. I'd figure you want to spend about $2-$2.5k on the speakers and the rest on power. There are a lot of options in this range.

I won't get into the cable debate. I'm not a believer in high-end cables, but do suggest good quality cables. Blue Jeans is a good option and won't break the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back