Suggestions on darker/heavier on-ears or small over-ears? Adele VK-1, Ultrasone Pro, or any other suggestions?
Oct 8, 2015 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hmohammed43

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking to get some new on-ear headphones to replace my blown TMA-1s. I've tried out the Aedle VK-1s and they sound like they may be what I'm looking for, but I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions.

My budget is anywhere beneath the £300/$450, but if anything is more than that but is good enough, I can save more up. I listen to manly R&B, EDM, Soul and Rap, but I like a little bit of acoustic music too.

Thanks in advance :)

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Dark, smooth-sounding, and on-ear? Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9. Not sure if I'd like them with all types of EDM, but for R&B, soul, and some rap, they're great. Not sure what you're including in "acoustic" - sounds incredibly broad.

Hi, in terms of "Acoustic" music, it'd be more folk-like and acoustic pop in a way, things like this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLsb1YMsKE

This type of music doesn't live in my collection a lot, I only have around 4 or 5 albums that are like this completely

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 10
  I think the Denon AH-MM400 suits your tastes very well.

I saw these in a store in the UK. They look really cool, almost looking like what Denon used to make with the D7000 but teeny-isa. They sounded OK but it was really noisy in the store (it was one of those department stores so they never have a quiet area to let you try things)

Dark, smooth-sounding, and on-ear? Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9. Not sure if I'd like them with all types of EDM, but for R&B, soul, and some rap, they're great. Not sure what you're including in "acoustic" - sounds incredibly broad.

I've had a look at some reviews of these on the web to try and compare, and it seems like it's a toughie between these two and getting a custom configure of AIAIAI TMA-2s, but I'd probably end up going for one of you guys' suggestion first, the last time I had TMA-1s they were fun but I was younger...my headphone taste changed quite a bit :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 10
  I think the Denon AH-MM400 suits your tastes very well.

I just recently had a pleasant visit to my local "Headphone Bar" in my neighborhood. 

I tested alot of full size and portable headphones and I'll have to say the Denon AH-MM400  was remarkable to my ears. There was some smooth rich texture as I listened to Norah Jones. I'm not a "Bass head" but those headphones could satisfy the ear drum abuser LOL!! Those HP were on the cusp of providing a lot of bass for my sensitive ears. The "mids" were very sweet and the clarity was excellent. I did not feel that there was any veil to the mid/high transition. I even started to compare full size against the denon. I immediately compared the Audioquest Nighthawk to the Denon AH-MM400  and I couldn't take the Audioquest HP off my ears fast enough.

I compared the Senn Momentum v.2, Nad hp50, ATHM50x and many more portable headphones. My short term "hearing" memory drew me back to the Denon's. Oddly enough I would never have even considered to test those headphones but Travis suggested I should take a listen. The Denon AH-MM400  seemed to have more layers in jazz vocals and more engaging compared to the Senn Momentum v.2. Momentum seemed thin in the mids more neutral/cool compared to the warmer rich denon. 

Since headphones cannot be a perfect hp for every genre. I'm putting the Denon AH-MM400  on my short list for a rich sounding HP that will be a great compliment to solid state amp/dac/smart phone etc. I tested the Denon with a Woo Audio WA6 and found it extremely enjoyable but I do like dark headphones.  I'm not an ESS Sabre fan but I bet I could tolerate that chipset with the denon HP.

Yes ....it's all subjective :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back