Suggestions on a new pair of headphones
Aug 10, 2010 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ciels

New Head-Fier
I'm exceedingly getting tired of these gaming headsets and I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will flat out beat any range of overpriced gaming headset on sound quality and comfort.
I chose to search for a nice pair of headphones when I realised the SS Siberian gaming headset was the same price as a mid-range headset while GAMERS would also complain at the sound quality non-stop.

Music I enjoy: electronic, game music, bass (D&B, dubstep as an example), and some rock, blues, alternative

Other: games(mostly), movies, non-professional level music/video editing

Requirements: under the price of the SH 555 (around £70/$111)
Must be comfortable to wear for long periods of time and doesn't leak too much sound, I also prefer leather over fabric when it comes to padding.

I find I'd use a headset mostly for listening/creating music and playing games. all indoors

Things I've liked so far are the SH 555, SH 205, AKG K 518 (DJ headphones are possibly suitable, otherwise i'll buy seperate ones to go outside with)

i'd love some help in deciding since i've spent most of the day overthinking again :\

question is, are the SH 555's comfortable and suitable?

-dan

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Maybe the Audio Technica M50.  Its sealed so it doesn't leak sound, has a decent amount of bass, and fairly neutral otherwise.  I think I've heard its more expensive in the UK though, so I don't know if it fits into your budget.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Or you could go for some older but not too old AKGs like the K240 Studio, K171 or the K141. Sennheiser has some nice headphones like the HD428 and someone even used the PX200 II for gaming. There are plenty of options if you look around...

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Or you could go for some older but not too old AKGs like the K240 Studio, K171 or the K141. Sennheiser has some nice headphones like the HD428 and someone even used the PX200 II for gaming. There are plenty of options if you look around...

I've done some research into some of them headphones and I've found the HD428 to be appealing

People also say choose 428's over it due to more bass, loudness and quality. (although 428 look attractive as hell) I'm still a little confused over this comparison

My lowest price option is the HD 201's due to the good general overall quality and the fact they would definitely beat any headphone I currently own.

And the headphones I'll reject are the HD 555's due to the price, material, and because they're open

So I'm looking for advice between the 
HD 201 [size=1.35em]£61.58[/size]
HD 428 [size=1.35em]£52.50[/size]
HD 448 [size=1.35em]£19.69[/size]

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I dont know if the models you listed are a good choice if you are a basshead. You want boomy bass? 

Well I made a wise choice of sticking to my speakers for music, when it comes to headphones I listen to them solely on my computer and for around 5 hours average per day, mostly when talking to people and during the nighttime.

There are clearly some good headphones for bass but they aren't the main priority if i'm just trying to replace a gaming headset; but with saying that I might be comfortable actually tweaking the equalizer to get more bass, which is one thing my sound card is great at.

we'll see :)

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 9
Then I would try the PX200 II, check the threads regarding the HD428 and its siblings. I have a recabled HD428 which is a vast improvement in the bass department. Yet for bass heavy material I found the standard HD428 not too bad overall it is just the bass impact. Even if you do not feel it is not on par with the bass extension. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 9
You may like a Fostex T50RP. I just picked one up. I am a grado fan and these are an obvious difference. They are very neutral and flat. They are very durable. They sound terrific with vocals. The price is fairly low, <100.00s that I have seen,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back