Suggestions on a good amp to drive the Focal Clear for under $1000
Jan 3, 2018 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bob Foster

New Head-Fier
I have a Eddie Current ZDT Jr coming and also a being shipped in the meantime is a Valhalla 2 and both sound like not the best match to use with the Focal Clear HP due to impedance issues. But these two amps dot sound like a good match for my HD650 HPs.

Does anyone think that these two amps will do a good job in bring out the best of the Clear HPs?

What would you peeps recommend I get for the Focal Clear HPs? Might consider prying my wallet open for a little more than $1000 if I dump some home audio gear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 8
I contacted Schiit about this and got surprisingly quick replies to my emails. Actually Tom E at Schiit said he's been running some Clears on that Mjolnir for a while and said he likes the combination but said the clears were a bit bright. I will take his advice and maybe soften them a bit with some tubes. His personal experience with the Clears convinced me to order the Mjolnir. I'm actually in the process of changing my order from a Valhalla 2 that wasn't yet shipped.

Good peeps there at Schiit.

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 8
I’m in the same boat, but starting with less. My wife got me a pair of Clears for Christmas (nice, huh?). I'm sure she had no idea that they'd spawn the need/itch for other gear.

I’ve got an older mid-fi system, which the Clears obviously outclass - so I'm not making the best of them, and I'm sure I haven't heard what they're really capable of. My main system uses a Denon AVR-3803 as a pre with an Adcom GFA555ii, with a vintage Denon dcd-1500 CD player and a Logitech Transporter. Given the age of the Denon receiver and the Transporter, I’m assuming I might benefit most from a DAC-amp combo (yes/no?) My other primary headphones are Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm.

I'll probably pick up a Dragonfly Red for use with my computer (Dell XPS8900), which also acts as a server for my music collection (MP3 & FLAC), as well as for use at my office, so the amp or dac/amp would primarily be for use with my main system and bedroom. I'm really not too concerned about portability from the perspective of traveling or taking the unit on the go with me - just from the viewpoint of being able to move it to where I happen to be listening.

The Mojo seems like an obvious solution that would also allow for some portability (as I'd probably also like to use the Clears, along with my IEMs (Fischer Audio dba-02, Sennheiser ie8) in my bedroom with a Squeezebox Touch), but i’m questioning whether I shouldn’t be considering some of the Schiits and other offerings.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Audio Arist Heron 5. Awesome amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back