Suggestions needed for speaker newbie.. budget 500 ish
Sep 21, 2010 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

moee79

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to speakers and would like some suggestions on products or good reads. I started researching today, reading up on anything I could find that seemed useful, and felt that the sea of information on speakers was much more overwhelming compared to when I got into headphones. Anyway, here's my situation...

Items I own:
- Computer
- HotAudio Extasy DAC
- Misc: Cowon iAudio7, iBasso T3, UE Triple Fi 10 Pro, NuForce NE-7M

What I know I need:
- Speakers that will put me in a coma/trance/whateverelseyoucanthinkof

Other things I think I might need but I wish didn't have to buy. My budget will have to go up obviously:
- Subwoofer
- Receiver
- Amp

I would like to keep my budget around $500. They will play music from my computer in my room, living room, or a larger space for small gatherings. So I need something powerful enough, but in the same ball park as my FLAC/PC/DAC setup.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 6
Okay, I think I found a decent source for Canada. I see a bunch of locals selling speakers and other audio goods. The names I mostly see are Paradigm, Polkaudio, Infinity, some vintage, Mirage, and others.

What should I be looking for? Is the only way to find out listening to them?

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 6
For now maybe you can consider active monitors with larger drivers to avoid having to get a seperate sub and receiver?

For 500$ budget there are some really good monitors out there, if you start searching in this forum for those you will find a lot of options.

You'll just need a dock or PC/DAC to feed it and you'll be all set, least footprint and good sound.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes with more research, a sub seems unnecessary. Instead of the receiver, I could probably go with an integrated amp. I guess I would need some kind of amp to drive some decent speakers.

I couldn't find any A5's or Swans locally. I'm in Toronto, Canada. I found an Arcam Alpha 8 (integrated amp) + 8P (power amp) combo, that I could hook up to a Paradigm 7SE MKIII, bi-wired. Add some cables, and some luck, I could probably pull it off at around $700.

But I feel so lost right now, I definitely need some expert to tell me if I'm doing something stupid ha ha

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm not expert, but a couple of things you may wanna consider:

if I'm not mistaken the 7SE MKIII are floor-standers; if your room is rather small I'd advice against them; I once bought a pair of floor-standers and had to return them because they were overwhelming.

that gear is nearly 10 years old. nothing wrong with buying used, as long as is few years old (imo), but at that age you may gonna need some luck indeed.  again, I never bought gear that old, so I'm speculating.

Audiogon is a good place to buy used gear 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back