Suggestions for YUIN PK1 + Laptop?
Jun 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xkRoWx

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a portable DAC and amplifier (not necessarily a combo) to fill in the gap between my YUIN PK1 and Apple Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz. I don't think my dinky PA2v2 is capable of driving my PK1 to anywhere near it's potential (unless I'm wrong). On top of being portable, I'd also like the DAC/amp be as powerful as possible while connected to AC, so I can skip buying a "full-sized" amp and DAC for home listening/charging.

The biggest physical requirement is to have a slim profile, so anything that turns my 1" thick MacBook to 4" thick will be a no-no; since I will be stuffing my entire laptop and the rig (minus the earbuds) into a close to perfect fit inCASE 13.3" neoprene laptop sleeve. The DAC and amp will preferably around the same thickness. I am thinking of "attaching" both amp and DAC to the backside of the LCD lid with velcro, so the weight of the rig combined should be light enough to not tilt my LCD (or eventually destroy my hinge on the long run) or peel off the velcro. A big plus would be a Li-ion battery powered, as I find 9V batteries too damn chunky.

Nothing much on sonic requirement, as this will be my first "real" amp/DAC purchase and I know nothing about amplification. I want a "wow" when I plug them in. Not just a "meh, where's the difference?" I got from the PA2v2. The DAC and amp should have a nice synergy together, if possible.

Budget will be set at $250 a piece, will even consider to stretch it to $350 if it will save me from upgrading (shipping/handling fees included). I am more than happy to buy used equipment to save myself some time from some burn-in.

The MiniBoxE+ looks like a good start for amp, any other suggestions? Any notable "slim" but powerful DACs? My logic tells me that I should hold off on the amp for a bit and get the DAC first, since I have the PA2v2 to get me through until I save up enough for an amp.

Man, I just realized how picky I am.. -.-" Thanks in advance for all tips, suggestions and advices. Would love to hear from you guys.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 9
I like my Pico Dac with my PK1's so far but unless Justin makes the new Slim in a DAC only version even the tiny Pico may be a bit large for your needs. As far as amps go I've heard good things about the Minibox E and I love my Pico but I'm not sure the amp section has the synergy with the PK1's that I'm looking for. Ray's P-51 Mustang may also be worth considering but I haven't heard it... yet
wink_face.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Apparently the MiniBoxE+ has two single channel op-amps. Does that mean I can stick two "legendary" OPA627s in there?

I've read a couple of threads saying the MiniBoxE+ is powerful enough to drive the PK1 to its "full" potential. Looks like I've got the amp section covered, but is there anything slimmer than the "slim" PICO? The iBasso D10 looks great, and its only 5mm thicker than the MiniBoxE+

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 9
If you want a dac/amp then the Pico or Predator is the way to go. I would say if you want something more neutral then get the Pico and for something warmer then go for the Predator. There is no need for separate units with PK-1's and a notebook. Spend the leftover money on music.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't a dedicated DAC and amplifier performs better than a combo unit?

Better than a Pico or Predator? If you were talking fullsize components then my answer would be yes but for portable devices? I cant think of anything better, The dac section is so good in the Pico people are buying the dac only version for fullsize rigs.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 9
yes IMo the D10 is superior to the pico with dac and also has a true line-out function. the pico dac only does too, but is still limited to USB only. the D10 will be able to run via optical from your lappie and optical SPDIF sounds superior in all ares to USB IMO. another one to consider is a professionally built AMB gamma2; which has just about finished its beta development phase and runs the same dac as the pico and D10 (and opus) this can be built with mini and RCA output (even balanced with a few tweaks). if you cant wait a few weeks, the gamma1++ is ready now. the gamma2 with minibox E can IMO bridge the gap between portable and home rigs. you can also drive headphones directly (some) from the gamma1-2. PM mister X for a proffessional built one. or PM AMB to see if there is more options. Mister X is the official builder though. you could also coinsider building one yourself, but that may actually turn out to be more expensive than buying one if you dont have the skills and/or equipment already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back