Suggestions for World Music
Mar 4, 2003 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I know that's a rather vague topic. Just goes to show how Americentric I am. I'd be open to any suggestions though I'd especially like to hear some of that South American music that is played on those pan pipe type things. African? Indian? MiddleEastern? Eastern? There's just so much? I can't just go in blind eh? And if any of this stuff is on Audiophile LPs that would be a bonus.

Mar 8, 2003 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 19
I have only been to Africa once(everyone should go) and fell in love with the music.I have to admit that my knowledge of "world music" is limited but my love for it is strong.I love traditional African and Brazilian folk music as well as the more modern Afro-pop and Cuban music.I am a huge fan of the late Fela Kuti and love all his works.The music is incredible and his voice is just as amazing.I am just getting into Baaba Maal but his stuff is outstanding.I have been enjoying Salif Kita ,Oumou Sangara ,Papa Wemba and Orchestra Baobab .Anything by any of those artists will do.I also love the African female singers.They are so talented and the best have the most incredible voices.This music transcends language and moves you in ways that only the most emotional music can.I really enjoy Gigi ,she is an Ethiopian singer with a truly haunting voice and the entire disc is breathtaking.I think you become a big fan of this music if you are a lover of great music performed by gifted artists.You should try a few sites like Amazon,(they have samples of all the stuff I mentioned and lots of music matches) and Dusty Groove.com,a store located here in Chicago where I buy most of my World Music and deep-soul stuff.

Mar 9, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm no expert, mostly like Celtic & Afro-Pop, but, for "pan-pipe" music, you can't go wrong with Inti-Ilimani (a Chilean group.) Cuzco is also quite good.

For Celtic music, I really like Gaelic Storm; there are lots and lots of others, of course.

For African artists, I recommend Angelique Kidjo, Laydsmith Black Mambazo, and, most especially, Oliver Mtukudzi. Tuberoller has some other really great suggestions. World music is an unlimited genre; enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 19
I'm spending a lot of quality time lately with Baaba Maal-- Missing You from 2001. Absolutely enchanting, beautiful, sensual, and soulful stuff. A GREAT headphone experience. This one is produced by John Leckie who has done some of the best 80s/90s English rock bands including Radiohead The Bends. Beautifully recorded and intimate. Check it out!

Mark

Mar 10, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 19
Wow, thanks a lot everybody. I have a lot of mp3 searching to do now.

Mar 10, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 19
Have lots of fun, Ohoen! I love discovering new music. Don't know how much of this you can find on MP3s, as my experience is with retail CDs, but I'm sure it's out there.

Let us know what you find.

Mar 10, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 19
For Indian, you can just go to an Indian restaurant and ask them what they play (if you like the music), or go to an indian food store and ask them what they recommend (they usually have CDs there too).

The indian restaurant I visit weekly plays the same songs in the same order every week, that's the only thing I don't like about going there.

Mar 10, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 19
I'll second the above recommendation of Inti-Illimani for Chilean/Andean folk music, grat stuff indeed. Another great Chilean band I enjoy a lot is Los Jaivas, just awesome stuff.

For Brazilian folk music, some great names that pop to mind are Nana Vasconcelos and Sivuca.

For Latin/Cuban typical stuff, I would highly recommend Buena Vista Social Club.

For Indian music, I highly recommend U.Srinivas. There's also a collaboration U.Srinivas & Michael Brook, their album "Dream" is just brilliant. Some other great Eastern-influenced bands/artists I can recall at the moment are Rajna, Am' Ganesha'n and Lamp Of The Universe.

For Celtic folk music, some of my personal favorites are Iona, Clannad, Maire Brennan and Loreena McKennitt.

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 19
My girlfriend loves this African world-musician (he actually plays many different styles) by the name of Habib Koite. His band is called "Bamada." He plays the guitar and from what I've heard he seems quite talented.

His albums are on Amazon.com (remember to use the link from http://www.head-fi.org
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Mar 14, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 19
There are some cool recordings on the Axiom label. I have not had a look at their website for ages, but you can find it here.

To my ears, Material's "Hallucination Engine" provides an intoxicating blend of 'world music' and more conventional western music, all held together by dub, which is one of my weaknesses. I really recommend this release very highly, to all lovers of fine music
cool.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 19
Try www.kexp.org and listen from the Streaming archives to the show called Wo-Pop.
The DJ Darek Mazzone plays music from literally all over the world. Some is really good and some isn't, but it's a great place to hear all different kinds of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back