Suggestions for wireless headphones WITHOUT volume normalization schemes?
Feb 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Strat-Mangler

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought some Sennheiser RS-120 and am deeply disappointed with them.

When the input sound is louder, a compression scheme called HiDynPlus kicks in and normalizes the volume to a lower setting!!! This is terrible when listening to dynamic things such as movies, Jazz, or classical music!

I can't wait to get rid of them!
angry_face.gif

In the meantime, can anybody recommend some fantastic-sounding wireless headphones that *don't* have any of this crap in their design? I don't care about range as I'm regularly about 10 feet from the base.

My preferred set of qualities would be, in essense ;

1. Great sound (deep, warm, clear highs)
  2. NO SCREWING AROUND WITH THE VOLUME!
  3. Ideally, good range... but not a necessity.
  4. Priced $200 or less.

What say you, oh wise & experienced forum members? :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 8
Try the Sennheiser RS 170/180 (I own the 180s). They transmit audio digitally (losslessly), so there's no hiss or noise/interference whatsoever, and don't mess with the volume. They're quite comfortable and sound pretty good.

EDIT: they do have a normalization feature, but you have to activate it. I didn't.
EDIT 2: never mind, I didn't see your price range…

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 8
The RS160 can be had for just under 200$
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-160-Wireless-Headphones/dp/tech-data/B002SOU2Y0/ref=de_a_smtd

Also AKG has a cheap wireless that has received fairly favorable reviews, the K912. It uses UFH frequencies so not quite as goog as the Kleer in the Sennheiser RS160.  I'm not sure if it's available in North America, al least amazon doesn't seem to carry it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm not in the US, so Amazon won't ship to me.

Having said that, are you saying the RS-160 do NOT have attenuation (i.e. volume dropping) like the RS-120 do? I see the 170 & 180 have a switch where you can manually turn it on or off, but can't find this switch anywhere on the 160. Does that mean they don't have the attenuation at all?

For the record, the 120 have it but without a switch ; therefore, it can't be turned off! :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Ah, sorry, missed that you're from Canada. At least Sennheiser says there is no automatic level control (Kleer Comparison pdf in the upper right corner) in other than the 180, and after two years use I haven't noticed anything to that effect in 180's unless the ALC is activated (it never is, completely useless feature). The range suffers quite a bit with the smaller transmitter, and you have to connect the phones with a wire to charge them but then again the transmitter is much smaller and even works with battery power, so it's easy to use with a laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back