Suggestions for well-rounded budget desktop amp.
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cjcerny

New Head-Fier
So I want to buy a budget desktop amp (up to $200 or so) that's "well-rounded", if such an amp exists. I say "well-rounded" because I'm not sure what cans I want to pair it with yet. In fact, I want an amp that I could use to audition lots of cans, everything from high impedence cans like AKGs down to low impedence cans like Grados. My only experience with high end cans is with the Denon 2000's, and I didn't care for "whoomp" feeling that closed cans gave me, although I was pleased with the sound.

Suggestions for a good starter desktop amp that can do a great job of driving a variety of cans that I am going to audition?

My front end will likely be an Oppo 970H which I will pick up used on eBay.

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 6
There is a lot of talk right now about the ($258) Audio Gd Compass. From all accounts so far this is going to be a giant killer when it comes out at the end of this month, but this is all just repetition of what others have said.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd decide on a set of cans/a sound you like first and then get an amp that will support the sound/compensate for the shortcomings of a can. Since im guessing you're looking at 75-300$ for a can, you're not going to find something that is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back