Suggestions for upgrading.
Aug 29, 2003 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

BrooklynRick

100+ Head-Fier
Since joining Head-Fi about 3 months ago I have purchased a pair of PortaPros, KSC35s, and Sony V6's. I also have a cmoy amp. I'm looking to upgrade and get another pair of headphones within the $50-150 range, possibly some Grado SR80s. Or could you guys possibly recommend some Sennheisers that would fit my bill. Something that would allow me to get the most out of my CMoy. I listen to mainly Hip-Hop, R&B, and Jazz, so i want something that sounds real smooth and evokes emotion. Also something with a nice soundstage because my V6's are how should i put this, hmmm, soundstage is severely lacking. Otherwise I would just add the beyer pads to my v6s, but I already consider them pretty comfy.

Aug 29, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 27
I've hear the 580's but certainly no Grado's. However, from the many threads I've read, I'd say: Grado's have emotion, and the HD580's have smoothness. Certainly the 580's have a much better soundstage and a more balanced, neutral sound than the V6's. They also run around 150-160 I believe, and less if used. I'm sure there will be plenty of other people to comment on the Grado's.

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 27
if you choose to have headphones that will be used "on-the-go" you might want to concider Grados, they sound great unamped.
they're definately colored, but it's the kind of coloration that fit's for listening to the kind of music you mentioned... especially if you are walking somewhere w/ your sony d-777
smily_headphones1.gif
very punchy and bouncy.

on the other hand. if you want to spend a TON more down the line, you can entertain notions of the senheisser hd600s or 590s.

used, i've seen the 600s for as cheap as $175. haven't seen the 590s for sale too much, but they are cheaper than the 600s new, and i've heard them, and definately dont think they are worse (just not as smooth, which may be what you like... think of Duncan's comparison of a sony d-211 and d-311 pcdp)

the reason i say pay a TON more down the line, is because you'll be spending alot of time on the 'amplification' forum if you purchase those cans
evil_smiley.gif

they sound great, but need juice.

...just to warn you....
upgrading in babysteps may seem resonable when looking at your immediate pocketbook, but you'll keep doing it.

if you make a jump straight to the end, it'll cost more at first, but save you in the long run.

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 27
For the music you listen to, the Sennheiser HD25sp's might do it for you. Very smooth and enticing, a little boomy in the bass, but very plesant. I used to own a pair and enjoyed them immensely.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 27
Quite awhile ago, I was in the same situation as you, BrooklynRick. I had a pair of Koss PortaPros and V6s. Then I bought a pair of Grado SR-80s and the addiction kicked in BIG TIME! They were unlike anything I had ever heard. Needless to say, I think you'll like 'em. Hell, you'ld like the Grado SR-60s. For my money, probably the best damn bargain out there.
icon10.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 27
Let's see... here's a couple of ideas:

1. The Grado SR-80s should prove nice unless you find them uncomfortable.
2. Sennheiser HD590 or,
3. Sennheiser HD580 (used are about your price range, might be a little hard to drive off the CMOY at 300 ohms)
Since these are open cans they will have a slightly different sound that your V6s or KCS35s.

The other piece of advice is to save up a little more and look at one of these incredible cans:

1. Beyerdynamic DT880 (harder to drive, but comfy.)
2. Sony CD3000 (uber-comfy, easily driven, sound incredible.)
3. Grado SR225 (not super comfy, but a lot like them.)

Either way you go, do some research and try to listen to a pair before buying. That way if they don't work out with your amp or to your tastes you can just keep looking. Or buy used and try them out and sell them for no or little loss to someone else right after detesting them.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 27
If your going to spend 100-150 pick up the Grado 125 or 225 used.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 27
I would try a used Sennheiser HD580, or possibly Grado SR-225 based on the statements you made.

Quote:

Something that would allow me to get the most out of my CMoy.

I had SR-125 and HD600 (nearly identical to HD580) and found the cmoy to do better with HD600. Not quite enough current for SR-125 IMO. The 47 amp I built gave the Grados that extra oomph they were missing with the cmoy.

Quote:

I listen to mainly Hip-Hop, R&B, and Jazz, so i want something that sounds real smooth and evokes emotion.

I prefer Grados for rock/pop, HD580 for jazz/classical/trip-hop/electronic. Based on your list it would probably be a tossup for me. However I find HD580s less offending for rock/pop than I find Grados for jazz/classical, so if had to pick one headphone for everything the Grados would be out. For you, however, its impossible to know what you'd prefer, hence the best we can do is tell you what we like and stress the importance of auditioning. Some others to look at in your price range (used at least) are AKG, Ultrasone, Beyerdynamic. I wouldn't recommend them but others would.

Quote:

Also something with a nice soundstage

The only soundstage I like in your price range is HD580 and AKG K401/K501. Grado is acceptable. The one exception is vintage used Stax, but that's not a market you should enter unless you know electrostats are for you.

Aug 30, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by fliz
on the other hand. if you want to spend a TON more down the line, you can entertain notions of the senheisser hd600s or 590s.

I've never had an issue driving the 590's from PCDP's or laptops/desktops, they're pretty easy to drive.

Sep 1, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by BrooklynRick
thanks, any more input?

Sure - Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster.

Closed, built strong, very nice sound and soundstage even unamped. I have no idea how would they sound with a CMoy, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back