Suggestions for upgrade for newbie
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mxracer327

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I own a pair of Sennheiser hd201 that I have fell in love with the sound but I'm ready for an upgrade. I want to stay under around $100 and I want something closed and no larger then the 201's in size. I recently tried Vmoda crossfades but the sound was awful. I like a flat response and tried a friends hd280 pros and loved them but the size and the cord are to big to wear at work. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 8
I've been reading a lot about the Koss pro dj100 is that a good choice. I see a lot of people state forwardmids but if this is anything like the Vmoda crossfades the mids were overwhelming to me and I didn't like it at all

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 8
It will be a little hard to find an over ear that you might not think is too large for work (i.e the same size as the 201's). Might want to consider on ear as they are usually a little smaller. Maybe ATH M-50 or possibly JVC HA-400 or 500. On the JVC's you can add HM5 pads to make them overear. Just a few initial thoughts. What kind of music do you listen to and what sort of sound signature are you looking for? To "upgrade" you will often want to go to a little larger driver and that of course makes the entire headphone larger. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the info so if I'm looking for more clarity I should go with bigger drivers? The Vmodas had 50mm drivers but the bass was head thumping. As for music mostly rock and smooth jazz occasionally electronic dubstep for fun but I don't need the bass. I like a little only if it is punchy. Would the Koss pro dj100 be a good choice for the price. I would love to have the m50's but they are going for $160 and that's a bit much for me to be transporting them everyday risking damage

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Take a look at the threads on the JVC's. Yes some of it is hyperbole, but on the whole most people are amazed at the sound for the price. There really appears to be something with those carbon nanotube drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back