Suggestions for Sound: Koss Porta Pros vrs Sennheiser MX500's
Apr 9, 2003 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rblanco10

Head-Fier
Hello,

Still a Newbie looking for help.

This may be a weird thread, as you can't compare apples to oranges. But can anybody help me compare the sounds between
the Koss Porta Pros vrs Sennheiser MX500's? This would help me out in selecting a new pair of headphones (I am not looking for earbuds or ear canal phones.) I liked the clear vocal sounds and clean treble comming from the MX500's, what headphone is like this?

I did search the boards and I found this thread but it is in Opposite to what I am looking for:

"An in ear style equal in sound to Portapro."
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ortaPros+MX500

So far I like the reviews of the Sony MDR-D66 Eggos,
Sony MDR-V6. Koss Porta Pros. I know less about the Grados and other Sennheiser Headphones.

I listen to Trance, Electronic music, Alternative Rock, Jazz, and Classical music. Would like to hear the treble, hear the vocals
clear, and feel some bass (Automatically I think about the Sony
Eggos or V6's for the bass, but I am open to suggestions for
other headphone brands to be played on a portable MD and
CD/MP3 player with no Headphone AMP - yet.)

Thanks for any help!

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Do you have a budget area you're trying to stay in?

Best phones I found my $50-$75 price range were the Senn 597's ($55 from Amazon shipped) and Grado RS-60's ($69 most places).

Haven't heard the Eggos (pretty much have to be in Japan or know someone with a pair), though as you've seen there are lots of supporters here. The higher price ($99) opens up other options though (Shures, RS-80's, Alessandro MS1's).

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys for your initial responses.

Yes I have the earbud MX500's.

I was wondering about the sound differences between the
MX500's and the Porta Pros. I know that one is an earbud earphone and the other is a headphone. Can somebody compare their sounds?

Second part to my original question was if anybody had any other headphone brand suggestions to this particular clear sound I am looking for (but I also want to hear the bass, what the MX500 lacks.)

Oh yeah I am looking at something < $100.

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2003 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Have a look in the headphone reviews, there's a good comparison there between KSC35 and MX500. The Portapros are basically KSC35 with more bass and less highs.

Apr 9, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 8
If you heard those qualities in MX500... you will find more of everything in the Porta Pro.

To me, the MX500 is a good ear bud for the money, but it lacks treble extension, having kind of a compressed, mid-rangey sound. The Porta Pro, OTOH, has an open, full-range sound that I like a lot more, though I still do use the MX500 for stealth and ultra-portability. Caveat: MX500 can sound very different depending on the shape of one's ear and ear canal. For me, it depends a great deal on placement.

You can't go wrong with the Porta Pro. It has a great sound is not overly fussy about placement. It can be had cheaply enough that you won't be devastated should you ever break it. That said, they will last years if you don't sit on them or leave them in the sun.

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I have both cans, and use them for very different circumstances. I take the buds to school, as they can withstand a lot of stress and are ultra-portable, while maintaining their great sound quality.

The MX500s are a little whispy on the treble, not very detailed but it's present nonetheless. It has a muddled midrange that is very coloured but easy to listen to. I have no complaints about that. The bass can and does go very deep for an earbud, but it's probably not even close to the Sonys, which, for the love of me, have no redeeming qualities. The buds don't really provide any isolation, but they don't emit a lot of sound when turned on high, so people won't really hear your music unless it's super loud.

The Portapros are taken one step down in terms of frequencies but one step up in terms of overall sound quality. They are very recessed in the treble, meaning that they aren't detailed but are VERY forgiving and easy to listen to. I love their easy-going sound, and hope to find that one day in a full-size can (which is why I'm looking into the Beyer 250-250 over the 770s). They have deep, impactful bass, but it's a bit bloated and uncontrolled. The midrange is sweet and plentiful, if highly coloured. But the sound is gorgeous, and the price is even better. I'd say it's a win-win situation with these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back