Suggestions for Solid State Amp for Eikon (upgrading from Crack)
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BlueSundays

100+ Head-Fier
Just like the title says. Im looking for an amp, preferably a solid state amp, that will be a solid (ba dum tiss) upgrade from the Crack amp with 7236 Tung Sol power tube for my ZMF Eikons. I understand there might be some apples to oranges involved because of Tubes vs Solid state but Thats okay cause although Id like to make it an upgrade, Ill probably go back and forth between the two for varietys sake.

Im looking for people with experience with ZMF dynamic cans or other high end, high impedence dynamic cans with amps in this price range (see below) Tube experiences are more than welcome as well, I just have a feeling Ill have to spend 2k$ to get any substantial improvements on the crack which Im not willing to spend. Since I know there is a lot of subjectivity, detailed descriptions of the sound you have heard would be very appreciated!

Id like to keep it in the $750 to $1500 (really pushing it) range.

If you think Id be better off spending that $$ on a DAC, feel free to comment about that as well. Im using an IFI Black Label Nano for DAC purposes.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I've got an Eikon and Verite. You can't go wrong with a THX AAA 789 amp when it's available on Drop or the Monoprice THX AAA 788 dac amp. I've got the 789 and it's effectivelyt relegated my pristine condition Jotunheim multi-bit to it's box in my closet.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm listening right now to my Eikons over the Questyle CMA600i class-A amp + DAC combo (which, incidentally I also use as the DAC for my Crack!). Power, transparency, a great volume pot (motorised + remote) that has plenty of play + well-matched, SE + XLR output options. Couldn't recommend more highly.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back