Suggestions for Relaxing Electronica
Mar 24, 2007 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately been really enjoying chill, relaxing electronica.
Im talking the minimal melodic stuff with no vocals (maybe a sample here and there). Like:

Aphex Twin-Selected Ambient Works
Plastikman-all his stuff

Dont have much else...
Im NOT looking for any down-tempo/lounge or any trip hop, I want straight electronic. Nor am I looking for anything hard or too experimental (like Autechre or Squarepusher).
Just something I can listen to on my money headphones when I want relax.
biggrin.gif

Suggestions?

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 22
I don't remember from your previous posts if you've heard these but I'll list them anyway:

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Future Sound of London - Lifeforms
Global Communication - 76:14
Orbital - In Sides
Zero One - Psy-Fi

My biggest recommendation is for you to turn on your nearest FM radio and tune it to your local Hearts of Space station, there are some real gems out there!

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 22
In addition to the above suggestions

BT - This Binary Universe
Carbon Based Lifeforms
I'm Not A Gun - We Think as Instruments (big fan of these guys, very chill)
Kaito - Hundred Million Light Years
Thievery Corporation

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 22
I suggest the album "Substrata" by Biosphere.

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Global Communication - 76:14

Ditto !

also Arovane - "Lilies"

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 22
Electronic music were a more relaxing affair back in the days before every wannabe musician has access to a drum machine. Some titles on the top of my mind.

Begegnungen -- Brian Eno and Cluster. The old school of old school, when synthesisers were the size of mainframe computers, built with vacuum tubes. Enjoy the beautifully sweet analog sound rarely heard today, yet the musical idea is surprisingly modern and upbeat.

Novus Magnificat by Constance Demby -- still classic after 20 years. An hour-long sweeping, celestial composition in two parts, inspired by Baroque music. The music for the Andromeda Galaxy Cathedral.

The Return of the Comet -- David Lange. Another beautifully celestial synth soundscape from the early days of Hearts of Space.

The Light of Midnight -- Ed van Fleet. I find the music to be similar in mood to Novus Magnificat, albeit shorter in length, simpler in synth layering, and without the classical influences. Melodic, angelic.

Voices -- Roger Eno. Piano music electronically transformed into nebulous sound-paintings. Minimalistic, yet embodies complex, bittersweet emotions.

Back to the present...

The River of Appearance
by Vidna Obmana -- Think "minimalistic", think "tranquility". This soundscape of piano, voice and electronics is too delicate to be described in words. Now available as a 2-CD set with a bonus CD of chamber-music reconstructions.

Nightscenes
-- Michael Whalen. A renowned composer for advertisement music and TV soundtracks, putting his talent into ambient electronics. A sonic logbook of a solitary city soul from the dusk of one day to the morning of the next.

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 22
A few more

Rain and The Spell by Kevin Braheny and Tim Clark -- beautiful music played on analogue modular synth and Steiner EWI electronic woodwind instrument. Rain, the better of the two, is about rain (naturally!) -- the different moods of rain in different settings. The Spell is musically a bit unfocused, but has some really stunning sound designs.

Summerland by Mychael Danna and Tim Clement -- dreamy, nebulous ambient. This is an old CD and can be difficult to get, but many pieces on this CD are available on The Best of Danna and Clement with improved sound.

The Land of Forever by 2002 -- slow, melodic and intricately layered electronic music. Some may call this "elevator music" but at least I like this album. This husband-wife duo has released loads of albums, but I don't have them all.

Anything from the small discography of Ray Lynch, but especially No Blue Thing. His music is tuneful, light in texture, but is actually quite classical if you look closely enough.

The Private Music of Patrick O'Hearn
-- a best-of collection. I don't usually recommend best-ofs, but this one has three exclusive pieces that I find very good.

And, if you find a cheap copy of Wunjo (by Giles Reaves) in old record stores, snatch it up. This is a classic in the electronic/new age genre.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 22
Terry Riley, anyone?
Rainbow in Curved Air
In C
Persian Surgery Dervishes
Shri Camel

Rainbow and Shri Camel in particular are very relaxing, while being a vigourous listen! Not sure Terry sits within an 'electronica' category tho....

Kwitel, you mentioned Aphex Twin -Selected Ambient Music....not sure if that includes Vol 2?
Excellent headscapes
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back