Suggestions for Portable Source
Mar 18, 2015 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

antz123

100+ Head-Fier
I am reading for some time on most of the reviews. And somewhere it confuses as one keeps exploring.

I am a Classical Rock listner and bit of modern Electronica.  Presently using my Phone and use Dunu-2000 as my earphones.

I prefer clarity and the liveliness or strange presence of the music. My main lookout are for storage, build quality, updates and battery
(considering best sound for my genre or preference as given)

My shortlist is ranging from:

Fiio X5, DX90, Ihifi800, Hidizapp100,  plus there seems to be plethora of quality Chinese Daps reviewed out here.

In the above price range what could i go for? Any help or direction would be great.

Thank you.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 8
IMHO, having lots of storage & a solid metal case is useless if the user interface is so confusing or frustrating that you hate using the device. I think this is where the low-cost DAPs tend to fall down. It's also something that is hard to determine from a picture on eBay.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Thought about getting an iem-sensitive portable amp for your phone and Dunu? There is the Ray Samuels Audio Hornet amp. I have also heard the Leckerton Audio UHA-4 is sought after for its digital volume stepping. For iem-sensitive amps, a gain of less than 0db is desired, but other features may come into play.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 8
I have an X5 and I'm a big fan.  The dual micro-sd slots is nice.  I use one for lossy music and one for lossless.  Sound quality is very good.  Most peoples' biggest complaint about the X5 is its interface.  I don't see what everyone is complaining about, personally.  I MUCH prefer it to an iPod.  I guess I'm just "old school" but I like the option to browse my music by folder.  Maybe early versions of the firmware were buggy, but mine has the latest firmware and I think it's pretty intuitive.  I don't know if you've ever held one, but it's a brick.  Perfectly portable in something like a backpack, but don't think for a second that you can strap it to your arm before a jog, haha...

There's usually someone on the head-fi classifieds selling an X5, so if you're lucky, you can get a good deal.

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 8
  I have an X5 and I'm a big fan.  The dual micro-sd slots is nice.  I use one for lossy music and one for lossless.  Sound quality is very good.  Most peoples' biggest complaint about the X5 is its interface.  I don't see what everyone is complaining about, personally.  I MUCH prefer it to an iPod.  I guess I'm just "old school" but I like the option to browse my music by folder.  Maybe early versions of the firmware were buggy, but mine has the latest firmware and I think it's pretty intuitive.  I don't know if you've ever held one, but it's a brick.  Perfectly portable in something like a backpack, but don't think for a second that you can strap it to your arm before a jog, haha...

There's usually someone on the head-fi classifieds selling an X5, so if you're lucky, you can get a good deal.

@De1aE1even Yes i am also bent towards X5 for same reasons. Space, "retro UI", and lot of good word around. I would rather have 1 good player and dont think can get another one anytime soon. So I thought of exploring many options that are floating around. Like some really strong contenders "specification wise". Also the guy selling X5 is giving combo package of FiiO- Kilimanajaro2 E11K along. Also shall check on classifieds :) Thank you

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Thought about getting an iem-sensitive portable amp for your phone and Dunu? There is the Ray Samuels Audio Hornet amp. I have also heard the Leckerton Audio UHA-4 is sought after for its digital volume stepping. For iem-sensitive amps, a gain of less than 0db is desired, but other features may come into play.

@pbui44

Thank you, for suggestion.. I actually thought of an amp to go along with the phone. But presently am on 16gb memory phone with no micro SD card slot. Thus phone as my option I eliminated. And except space constraint i really have no other complain from my device so  changing devices i feel might be waste of money. Thus focusing on Dedicated Source. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back