Suggestions for PCDP with E888s in Singapore...
Jun 18, 2002 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SNAG

New Head-Fier
Hi all!
This is my current "setup":
Panasonic 780 (asia version with line out)
Sony E888s.

I'm gonna pass my 780 down to my sis soon... So I'll need a PCDP to go along with my 888s...

I need EQ settings, as IMO, my 888s can't produce any bass without any EQ settings. (eg. S-XBS)

I was looking at the 790, since I heard from the threads that there was higher sampling, and that there was a loss-ess compression.... wonder whether it is true.

I've used the 570 before... and it kicks ass!
But unfortunately, it gave way, and I sent it in for repair...
Panasonic Singapore had said that this was a discontinued model, and had offered to replace my 570 with a 780 (as above now).

Any 790-ers would like to comment about the sound quality?
Note that I'm referring to the Asia version... thanks a lot.

Jun 19, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by cola
this

confused.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 19
Sorry to say, but some people just don't know what they're talking about. :p

The 790 is a facelifted 780. It doesn't have higher sampling, and its anti-shock setup is same as the 780 (just with larger capacity). And some owners have complained about noise coming out of the 790's phones jack, when you listen without the remote.

If I'm not mistaken, the 790's S-XBS is 2-step. But the extra "step" isn't stronger, it's weaker than the single-step.

I checked Sony Japan's website, all their current CD walkmans use mega bass, not the bass/treble adjustment like the MD walkmans. These features are the same for any regional versions, except in utterly rare cases.

So unless you're buying an MD walkman, you don't have any choice when it comes to EQ settings. I think you're better off enjoying music in general and not insist on the bass; IMO that's what listening through an amp/line out is all about.

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by leon

The 790 is a facelifted 780. It doesn't have higher sampling, and its anti-shock setup is same as the 780 (just with larger capacity). And some owners have complained about noise coming out of the 790's phones jack, when you listen without the remote.

If I'm not mistaken, the 790's S-XBS is 2-step. But the extra "step" isn't stronger, it's weaker than the single-step.

I checked Sony Japan's website, all their current CD walkmans use mega bass, not the bass/treble adjustment like the MD walkmans. These features are the same for any regional versions, except in utterly rare cases.

So unless you're buying an MD walkman, you don't have any choice when it comes to EQ settings. I think you're better off enjoying music in general and not insist on the bass; IMO that's what listening through an amp/line out is all about.

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by leon

Thanks a lot for the comments..
I don't use an external amp like the Airhead or what, but I do listen to my portables when I'm outside and at home in bed, I think it's too troublesome to connect to an external amp or something.

I noticed with my Panasonic that I couldn't get any bass out without any EQ settings, it's very queer to hear a track without any bass or some sort... Is this with Panasonic alone or the same with regards to other players?

Hmm... with regards to music quality, I wouldn't expect much, after all, I use portables to listen to music on the go...
But I would like to expect a certain level of sonic quality on my portable... And I think the 780 + E888 combo is quite a good one, at least to my humble standards...
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'll really go for sonic quality, I'll use my home based system, but I can't drag my whole system on the go right?
IMO, there's a compromise between portability and quality...

Anyway, thanks for your comments!
I'll love to hear them too, keep them rolling in!
Cheers

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Hmm... I see some differing comments...
Would you like to comment?

Anyway, tuberoller had commented that a Panasonic spokesman had claimed that the 790 was geared more towards "audiophile" quality....

That's why I was thinking that it was more towards for audiophiles....

Peace.. No flames here ok?

Jun 19, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by SNAG
I noticed with my Panasonic that I couldn't get any bass out without any EQ settings, it's very queer to hear a track without any bass or some sort... Is this with Panasonic alone or the same with regards to other players?

It is normal. The lack of bass comes from the kind of headphones you use - if you use a larger, closed set of headphones, for instance, it's likely to give you more bass. The E888 doesn't seem to have much bass because its drivers are small (compared to full-size headphones).

In the space of about a year, my listening habit went from "I can't live without bass" to "I can't stand bass boost", mostly because of what I've learnt here.

Quote:

Hmm... with regards to music quality, I wouldn't expect much, after all, I use portables to listen to music on the go...
But I would like to expect a certain level of sonic quality on my portable... And I think the 780 + E888 combo is quite a good one, at least to my humble standards...
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'll really go for sonic quality, I'll use my home based system, but I can't drag my whole system on the go right?
IMO, there's a compromise between portability and quality...
Cheers

I think a lot of us are using this forum because we want the best of both worlds, and compromise as little as possible. Otherwise we'd all go to MiniDiscussion or T-station and talk like Beavis and Butthead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 19
Hmm... That means if you get some larger cans, the bass part would be there?? Like grados? But one thing is that your player headphone amp might not be powerful enough....
And you would have to get a portable amp....
And the whole, vicious purchasing cycle starts again...
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks a lot.

One small question for you, I don't know whether you have this problem when you shop around...

Normally, those small electronic retailers wouldn't be very obliging to do a no-obligation demo for you, especially when it comes to discmans.

Most of them think that "discmans all SOUND the same", and they looked at me with that strange look when I requested to have a small audition some time back....

They got even a big shock when I brought along some CDs along...
eek.gif

Thanks once again...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 19
In theory, a larger headphone driver (let's say, 42mm diameter) will put out more bass than an earbud driver (16mm). The original intention of bass boost was to compensate for the earbuds' (perceived) lack of bass.

The kind of improvement you get by using an external amp, I think, is more to do with "quality". A good pair of headphones may be sensitive enough to produce 100dB of sound on 1mW of input, but that doesn't mean it's being driven to its full potential...

This is really venturing into audiophile territory, and I'm sure someone here can explain it better
biggrin.gif

I don't have a good solution about those small vendors. I demo-ed my Sharp MT770 for 30 minutes, and I walked away unscathed because I bought it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

888haves many model

Yes, they do have many models, but they are essentially the same, only that the cord lengths are different...

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 19
Yup agree... I have all three variations (gold LP, chrome MP and chrome SP) and the seemingly slight sound difference from one pair to another is just the result of I guess manufacturing/quality control inconsistency...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back