Suggestions for Old DT770s?
Aug 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pm@c

500+ Head-Fier
I've had a pair of DT770 Pro's (60 ohm I believe) for almost 9 years now, best pair of headphones I've ever owned.

Problem is, just the last few days the sound on the left driver cuts out when the cable is bent a certain way, almost certainly needs a recabling. 

I'm just curious if its even worth going through the motions of recabling on a pair of cans this old? I have a pair of DT880 600 ohms that I used to receive specifically for listening to music (my DT770s were for gaming and misc use), so if I can breath new life into my 770s then I would be ecstatic, but I am just unsure of whether its worth it.

As a side note, I bought a pair of gel pads for it about 4 or 5 years ago and really havent bothered to change them, and they are now at a point where they desperately need changed as well (fraying, gel coming out, very discoloured lol). 

Does anyone know where you can purchase either gel or the original velour pads from? I've searched online but I cannot seem to find them.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm going to assume you have the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones, as I've never heard of a 60-ohm DT770.
What sources do you plug the headphones into and what DAC or Amp do you use them with.

The stock ear pads are the Beyerdynamic EDT 770 V (Velour) ear pads, usually sell for around $35.
You can buy generic (made in China) ear pads for around $10 (eBay), not as good as the factory ear pads, but still a good value at $10 for a pair.
Have no idea on the Gel pads.

If you have access to a soldering gun, replacing the cable might be fun
Mogami and Canare both make microphone cable (quad wire) that seems to work well for custom cables for headphones.
You should be able to find directions on the Internet from others who document their re-cabling experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back