Suggestions for new speakers...My Sad Day
Oct 7, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Atoms are great for $200....nothing more.

I disagree strongly.

Ive got a pair of Quad ESL, B_W 802s, Audio Kinesis Jazz Modules, and Von Schweikert VR-4 SRs..

the Atoms are great. price aside.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Atoms are great for $200....nothing more.

That's how I feel about the RC-10s.
wink.gif
Everyone's opinion varies. What's true for you may not be true for others.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
old speakers are ok for nostalgia..but we have come a long way in speaker design since your speakers were born(the exception being Rogers/Harbeths and some QUAD designs). every polk I have heard has been god-awful...they have a real "prosumer" feel and sound..i guess ok for folks at circuit city though.

I agree. My dad has a pair of Polk RTA-12Cs from his '80s set-up which are well regarded as being step-ups from the popular Monitor 10. We auditioned several modern speakers and needless to say, the Polks now sit unused. The vintage Klipschs like the Heresy, Forte, and Cornwall are timeless but to me, the vintage Polks don't make the same cut.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. My dad has a pair of Polk RTA-12Cs from his '80s set-up which are well regarded as being step-ups from the popular Monitor 10. We auditioned several modern speakers and needless to say, the Polks now sit unused. The vintage Klipschs like the Heresy, Forte, and Cornwall are timeless but to me, the vintage Polks don't make the same cut.

Well, obviously, if you have the money to purchase more expensive, modern speakers, please do so. But you got to realize that these vintage speakers are sitting around for sale at under $150 because people often don't know their value... I've grabbed a couple for $50. I think the vintage speakers are amazing bang for the buck items, particularly, certain Polk speakers.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

That's how I feel about the RC-10s.
wink.gif
Everyone's opinion varies. What's true for you may not be true for others.

What do you like better than the RC-10s within their price range? Saying that a pretty highly regarded speaker that costs $600 regularly is only worth $200 seems, well, harsh. Not that harsh, but sort of harsh. I'm not trying to doubt your own opinion of them nor do I own them myself, I'm just wondering if you think they're only worth $200 because their sound is, for lack of a better word, "worthless" to you or do you think that their performance / construction is no better than other $200 speakers?

Basically I'm just asking for some elaboration of this statement in expense of your time
biggrin.gif
. And sorry if it's too loaded a question.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromantic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you like better than the RC-10s within their price range? Saying that a pretty highly regarded speaker that costs $600 regularly is only worth $200 seems, well, harsh. Not that harsh, but sort of harsh. I'm not trying to doubt your own opinion of them nor do I own them myself, I'm just wondering if you think they're only worth $200 because their sound is, for lack of a better word, "worthless" to you or do you think that their performance / construction is no better than other $200 speakers?

Basically I'm just asking for some elaboration of this statement in expense of your time
biggrin.gif
. And sorry if it's too loaded a question.

They sold for $300 for a while, that's what I think they're worth. MSRP imo has little to do with a speaker's level of performance but regardless I wouldn't consider any speaker in this class "worthless." Please don't put words in my mouth. I've commented about my feelings on the RC-10s here before and I don't feel like stirring the pot any more as many people do like them. I just didn't find them to be very musical and if I were shopping with a budget of $600, I'd go with something else. As I said in my original post, what's true for someone may not be true for everyone and this is just my personal opinion.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

They sold for $300 for a while, that's what I think they're worth. MSRP imo has little to do with a speaker's level of performance but regardless I wouldn't consider any speaker in this class "worthless." Please don't put words in my mouth. I've commented about my feelings on the RC-10s here before and I don't feel like stirring the pot any more as many people do like them. I just didn't find them to be very musical and if I were shopping with a budget of $600, I'd go with something else. As I said in my original post, what's true for someone may not be true for everyone and this is just my personal opinion.

Wow, forget I even said anything. Didn't know your ego was so huge to the point of being unhelpful or having a decent conversation.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromantic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, forget I even said anything. Didn't know your ego was so huge to the point of being unhelpful or having a decent conversation.

I don't know what you're talking about. You generalized my statement from, I think they're worth what they sold for on sale, to, the sound they produce is worthless or the build quality is poor. That wasn't true, that's what I told you. I've made my feelings on the RC-10s clear in the past and I don't want to go in to detail again because it upsets the owners, and rightfully so if they like the sound they're getting. All I said was they aren't the speakers for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back