Suggestions for new pair of Headphones
Jan 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
Oops, did not read your first post well enough.
Fiio E10 would not work with iPod.

For around $25 you could use the Fiio DAC D3 between the Mac Proand E11.

I am interested in the HD600's, but am unsure if it is a better option to go with a lesser headphone and a better amp or a better headphone and a lesser amp. I know very little about amps/dacs.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
I am interested in the HD600's, but am unsure if it is a better option to go with a lesser headphone and a better amp or a better headphone and a lesser amp. I know very little about amps/dacs.

Better headphones with a lesser amp.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I did have the HD 600 or the DT 800 in my mind before making this thread.
Would either of these benefit greatly from an amp/dac?

Beyerdynamic DT880s will benefit from a good DAC/headphone amplifier.
I'm guessing so will the Senn HD600.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #19 of 27

Quote:

Beyerdynamic DT880s will benefit from a good DAC/headphone amplifier.
I'm guessing so will the Senn HD600.

Quote:
Better headphones with a lesser amp.

I searched for Sennheiser Hd600 amp combo here and a lot of people recommended the Asgard. Does that have a DAC or no? If not, would it be okay to wait on a DAC until I have more money or would it just be better to get a cheaper amp and then get a DAC?

Thanks again

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 27
Also, I have a Marantz SR5005 receiver. Would that work to power the HD600 or any other similar headphone or do home theater receivers not do the trick for headphones?

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
I searched for Sennheiser Hd600 amp combo here and a lot of people recommended the Asgard. Does that have a DAC or no? If not, would it be okay to wait on a DAC until I have more money or would it just be better to get a cheaper amp and then get a DAC?

The Schiit Asgard does not come with a built in DAC.
But both your iPod & Mac do, so you could plug the Asgard (RCAs) to the analog stereo (3.5mm) 1/8"  jacks on Apple stuff.
One cable, with RCA (red/white) jacks on one end and a mini stereo (3.5mm) 1/8" inch plug on the other, would work for the iPod and Mac.
You could also hook up a $25 Fiio D5 USB/DAC between the Mac(USB) and the Asgard.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
Also, I have a Marantz SR5005 receiver. Would that work to power the HD600 or any other similar headphone or do home theater receivers not do the trick for headphones?

Marantz receivers (by reputation) come with good headphone support.
My 250-Ohm headphones work fine with my $500 Yamaha RX-V671 and your SR5005 is an $800.
The SR5005 can do Dolby Virtual Headphone (surround sound) and
comes with a USB (digital) port for iPods, the Mac may (?) also work with the SR5005 receivers USB port.
The Marantz should have quality DACs

Technically the Schiit Asgard would be a better headphone amplifier.
But not enough to justify buying it when you already have the SR5005.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #23 of 27
I feel that DT880/AKG701/HD600 are the headphones you should be looking at considering your price range (~500 amp+headphone) and desire for a headphone that would scale well with the Marantz.

Gun to my head, I would pick the DT880 for you (more fun) although I am an AKG man myself.  Sennheiser line has never appealed to me.

I love my MS2i but you should not underestimate the importance of comfort.  Also they are anything but neutral.  I've owned or do own all of the aforementioned headphones.

I'd only purchase HD598 if you have no intention of visiting this site ever again.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #24 of 27
If you're considering the HD600 - a nice desktop amp to go with it would be the Audi-gd NFB-12.  I have that combination - they go well together.  They've just released an updated version (NFB-12.1) which has added frontplate switches for changing the internal filters.  You can then change the sound from warm and smooth to more detailed - depending on filter you choose.

It has optical, coax and USB input - as well as line level out if you are going to external speakers or to another amp.

Amp/dac is 215 + shipping, so leaves you enough to get very close to your $500 budget depending on what you pay for the HD600s.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
Marantz receivers (by reputation) come with good headphone support.
My 250-Ohm headphones work fine with my $500 Yamaha RX-V671 and your SR5005 is an $800.
The SR5005 can do Dolby Virtual Headphone (surround sound) and
comes with a USB (digital) port for iPods, the Mac may (?) also work with the SR5005 receivers USB port.
The Marantz should have quality DACs

Technically the Schiit Asgard would be a better headphone amplifier.
But not enough to justify buying it when you already have the SR5005.

Hmm that is interesting then. Would it better just to get a better headphone all together (Sennheiser HD650 perhaps?) and just hook that up to my Marantz for now?

Anybody else know if the Marantz SR5005 would be good for headphones in the HD600-650 or Beyer DT 880 range?

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
Hmm that is interesting then. Would it better just to get a better headphone all together (Sennheiser HD650 perhaps?) and just hook that up to my Marantz for now?
Anybody else know if the Marantz SR5005 would be good for headphones in the HD600-650 or Beyer DT 880 range?

The best price I could find for the HD650 is $449 (with free shipping) from a retailer in Texas called Modia, found them on the Bountii website.
At the website AVSforum they have a thread dedicated to the SR5005/SR6005, they might have a better idea on what headphones work well with the SR5005.
Also ask there if your Mac can work off the same USB connection as the iPod.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
The best price I could find for the HD650 is $449 (with free shipping) from a retailer in Texas called Modia, found them on the Bountii website.
At the website AVSforum they have a thread dedicated to the SR5005/SR6005, they might have a better idea on what headphones work well with the SR5005.
Also ask there if your Mac can work off the same USB connection as the iPod.

That's a great idea. Will look through there for now. I could always order the Asgard when I got my headphones and then return them if they weren't that much better than the Marantz with that 15 day return policy.

On a headphone related note: Are the 650's worth the extra $80-100 dollars? (Modia also has the HD600's for $369.00). In other words are the HD650s a lot better than the HD600s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back