Suggestions for Maximizing my New Microstack with DPS?
Oct 16, 2006 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jonathanvaljean

100+ Head-Fier
Calling all Microstack owners (and other fellow Head-Fiers):

I am slated to receive my new (to me) Microstack with DPS tomorrow. I purchased it from Esco, and can not wait to hear its sonic goodness! I am going to use the Microstack with my HP notebook computer and Sennheiser HD595s. At first, I will just use the USB output with the DAC, but soon, I plan to step up to optical output. Would the M-Audio Transit be suitable for sending optical output to the DAC, or are there better alternatives? Any other suggestions as to the best setup and extracting the most from the Microstack would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 3
Optical: If you like/use iTunes, then AirPort Express is one option.

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 3
I am currently using a Transit for SPDIF to a Lavry at work and a Headroom Desktop DAC/AMP at home. I actually prefer the USB option on the Headroom unit - combined with the purchased USB-AUDIO driver - over my Transit supplied SPDIF.

I have been unable to get KMixer out of the loop using ASIO/KS or whatever with either Creative drivers for XFI, or the M-Audio drivers with the transit. I keep getting the mouse clicks in web browsing coming thru the music, which to me means the KMixer is in the signal path. Only with the USB-ASIO { www.usb-audio.com } have I gotten clean Foobar playback with no intrusion of windows sounds. This driver does not work with the Transit.

I know I could disable kmixer, and/or mute the wave sounds on my computer. This however makes the computer hard to use for anything else, and getting rid of kmixer is not trivial. I was really planning on ASIO or KS with Foobar to output a SPDIF stream without Kmixer, but have not been able to accomplish this.

May give a shot at the HagUSB device if they become available again, if it works with the USB-ASIO driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back