Suggestions for In-Ear Monitors & Portable DAC (~$1500)
Dec 30, 2016 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chipless

New Head-Fier
It has been a while since I've posted, or shopped for new IEMs, so please go easy on me.

Just looking for some suggestions for upgrading my current Westone UM 30 Pro IEMs and Dragonfly 1.2 USB DAC given a budget of about $1,500. Not necessarily unhappy with either, but plan to use the UM 30 Pro's while working out (aggressive, I know) and figured it wouldn't hurt to consider a new DAC as well.

Setup is Mid-2014 MacBook Pro running iTunes /w BitPerfect. I currently don't have any DSD or Hi-Res files, and I don't foresee that changing, but that's mainly because the music I listen to does not often get remastered for such formats.

Any ideas/suggestions will be welcomed. I've been out of the loop for a few years, so I just need a good place to start.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 4
  More information would be nice? What sound signature would you like? CIEM or UIEM?

Sorry for the lack of info. I am open to either CIEM or UIEM designs, and as far as sound signature, I don't want to deviate too far from neutral as I prefer not to "color" the tracks I'm listening to, and instead reveal all the detail the artist intended to convey. That being said, a bit of emphasis on the lowest end of the frequency range would be acceptable along with excellent extension in the same range. Absolutely accuracy and transparency is prefered though.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 4
You could try the JH Audio Angie (CIEM $1499, UIEM $1399) or the UE Pro Remastered ($999). But I think maybe the Angie will fit your needs better. It comes with a bass control and is most flat sounding so you can tune the low end to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back