Suggestions for IEMS
Jan 2, 2016 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pwnerman

Head-Fier
Hello,

Let me start off by saying I have no clue when it comes to IEM's. There are so many different types and variations it gets confusing quick. I'm interested in getting a custom made pair to fit into my ears. For some reason I just can't get ear buds to work. I have tried many different models and many different types of tips but I just can't get them to seal in my ear canal. The only ear bud type device I have ever used are the Sony MDRE9LP/WHI Ear bud Headphones. They don't actually go into the canal but they sit on the outside. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RE3YQW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Another thing is I understand they make IEM's for all certain applications. I would only be using them purely for multimedia and music 100%. This is where things get confusing for me because I don't really know which ones are made for what. I have been looking at the Custom Art/Mass drop co-lab IEM's and was wondering if they might be a good idea. As for price the ones I just mentioned are 600 so I wouldn't want to go any higher then that. 

Thanks for the help.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I'll be back in the morning and my experience is narrow in the scope of time frame but decent in varieties of IEMs. What kind of music do you listen to (genres or tracks I can fire up on tidal) and what are you using for playback?

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Hello,

Let me start off by saying I have no clue when it comes to IEM's. There are so many different types and variations it gets confusing quick. I'm interested in getting a custom made pair to fit into my ears. For some reason I just can't get ear buds to work. I have tried many different models and many different types of tips but I just can't get them to seal in my ear canal. The only ear bud type device I have ever used are the Sony MDRE9LP/WHI Ear bud Headphones. They don't actually go into the canal but they sit on the outside. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RE3YQW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Another thing is I understand they make IEM's for all certain applications. I would only be using them purely for multimedia and music 100%. This is where things get confusing for me because I don't really know which ones are made for what. I have been looking at the Custom Art/Mass drop co-lab IEM's and was wondering if they might be a good idea. As for price the ones I just mentioned are 600 so I wouldn't want to go any higher then that. 

Thanks for the help.

Just a couple of questions.
1) Budget
2) Sound Signature preferenc
3) What device will you be running them through.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 7
I'll be back in the morning and my experience is narrow in the scope of time frame but decent in varieties of IEMs. What kind of music do you listen to (genres or tracks I can fire up on tidal) and what are you using for playback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0AjYe0S228&index=47&list=UU5nc_ZtjKW1htCVZVRxlQAQ
I normally listen to top 50, hardcore rock and EDM music like everything found on this youtube channel. 
Just a couple of questions.
1) Budget
2) Sound Signature preferenc
3) What device will you be running them through.

1. Wouldn't want to go above 600
2. I'm not really super savvy when it comes to these terms but I really like listening to my HE-400i headphones. I do know I don't like whatever sound signature the ATH-M50x are. They would always hurt my ears within an hour. 
3. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my audio equipment so right now all I have is the old Fiio E17 but I also have an Aune X1s and a Centrance HiFi-M8 LX coming by way here soon. I'm prob going to just get rid of the Aune. It was an impulse buy off Massdrop.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I normally listen to top 50, hardcore rock and EDM music like everything found on this youtube channel. 
1. Wouldn't want to go above 600

2. I'm not really super savvy when it comes to these terms but I really like listening to my HE-400i headphones. I do know I don't like whatever sound signature the ATH-M50x are. They would always hurt my ears within an hour. 

3. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my audio equipment so right now all I have is the old Fiio E17 but I also have an Aune X1s and a Centrance HiFi-M8 LX coming by way here soon. I'm prob going to just get rid of the Aune. It was an impulse buy off Massdrop.

Okay cool.. If you're listing to all those styles, my safest bets sorted by price are the RHA T10i's ($150 on eglobal), RHA T20i's ($250 Amazon), the Sony XBA-A3's ($284 Amazon), the Westone W40 ($379 Amazon), or finally the Westone W50 ($549 Amazon)
Each of the aforementioned IEMs will get you a very good cohesive sound. However, each one gets you that sound using different technologies. I have personally owned or still own each of the above, so I can attest to their sound and quality. I wish I could comment on more Custom Made IEMs, as I've always heard that you will get THE best isolation. Which is always key to great sound and dynamics. Each of the above should be able to be powered through the setup you mentioned, as each are highly efficient drivers. I drive the T10i's with my iPhone 6 on a daily basis with no issues. When I want some extra umph, I just break out the amp, or just switch out to a dedicated player the Fiio X5ii. I listen to a lot of genres, with Progressive Technical Death Metal being my favorite genre. Therefore, I need versatility in my sound, hence why I am recommending any of the above.
Now, as always, just because the Westone W50 is the most expensive, doesn't mean it will be the best for your uses. You might have smaller ears or think the sound is too congested.. Everyone has different ears and auditory preferences. I can recommend these, others might recommend other highly rated IEMs such as the Dunu DN2000J's.. Which for their own reasons will be fantastic as well... After about the $350 range, the pickings boil down to personal preference. Yes, there is a difference between the Shure SE-846 and the Noble Audio Savants for example.. One might say "More Analytical" or "More Organic" to describe the sound signature differences, but at the end of the day, if you have never heard the other one and compared the two AB'ing them, you'll never know.. Lol.. So my advice to you, choose one and forget the reviews after you've made up your mind.. If you buy a pair and continue reading reviews, you'll question your decision, and your mind will pretend to hear the differences afterwards..

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Yea you are right about pick one and don't look back because it's like almost impossible for a normal person to try multiple custom IEM's. I mean that's alot of money just buying them and then they are pretty much unsellable unless you go super discount. I don't even know where to go to get molds done. I used Logitech's audiologist finder thing and the closest one is about 2 and a half hours away. 

Could you possibly tell me if these would be a good choice? https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ctm-ct-400-pro-ciem

This guy gave them a good review. http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/71-iem-brief-review-thread-incl-rhine-monitors-cleartune-customart

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeup.. jelt2359 has his experience in CIEMs!! Lol.. He would be the one to send a PM to on pretty much any of the CIEMs.. However, one thing I will say, if you notice almost all of them are above 9.0 for a reason.. Anyone that liastens to them will be in auditory heaven.. Lol.. So he's having to judge them to the most scrutinized basis.. Where just because one has a hint of sub bass extension not deep enough is a huge deal.. Lol.. So take it all with a grain of salt.
Another thing that's amazing about CIEMs is the customization on them. Yoyu get to have them made to your exact specifications. Which makes you giddy and love them that much more, because they were made SPECIFICALLY for you and you ONLY. That will always be awesome, for bragging rights. Lol..

By the way, you can go into Any audiologist office and ask to have ear canal impressions made for you. All you have to do then is send the cast to which ever manufacturer you choose.

Lastly, you stated the ATM-M50x hurt your ears after about an hour.. That's what people mean when reviewers state "Sound can be fatiguing." In their reviews.. In general it's the mid-highs that are too present which causes that, usually around the 3k-6k frequency range.. Too much of that range in ANY headset/iem will result in ear fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back