Suggestions for IEMs?
Mar 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GreenStreak

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm a current ATH-M50 user and have been considering getting some IEM's, Price wise I'm can spend up to around $450(not an absolute hard upper limit), but I'm won't complain if there's something that is cheaper and fits what I want.  Sound quality wise I really like my M50's, the bass is decent, I do not like really bright/harsh highs.  I tend to enjoy a nice warm fun sound.  I believe I qualify as a bass head, so something with strong bass would be appreciated(but absolutely NOT something with the type of overblown, drowning out mids/highs, bloated bass that you get with say... Beats by Dre...).  I understand there are IEM's and cIEM's what are the thoughts on going with a high end universal vs. an entry level custom?  I saw the Heir audio 3A i think it was, does anyone have any experience with them?  

Suggested I put in what I listen to, it varies, Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, stuff like that, Disturbed, Tool.  Sabaton is one of my favorites, Pink, Poe.  I also listen to BassHunter and on occasion various Rap artists and so on.  That's a fairly good representation of what I listen to.  I like to enjoy my music, so a more fun sounding IEM would be ideal as opposed to a 100% accurate analytical type sound.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 11
Did I say something wrong?  Did I just not word this right?  Was I not clear on what I'm looking for?  Has everyone who's read this so far not been able to give me any suggestions?  Is there any information I could provide that could make it easier for other members to provide me useful replies?

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 11
I think you might want to include the genres that you listen to. I can't help because I haven't listen to many IEMs, though you might want to check out joker's IEM reviews, from what I read the shure se 215 might be suitable for you, though you will have to purchase another cable with in-line control to have the in-line control.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 11
First post edited with types of music I listen to, thank you for the suggestion, maybe someone will be able to make a suggestion.  I guess the inline control and microphone would be nice, but in the end is not a requirement for me...

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Maybe the klipsch x10?

Klipsch x10 have very nice sound, but for the price I can't get over the sorry excuse for a non-replaceable cable.  I'd expect a hair-like cord on that from an <$50 headphone, not an >$350 headphone. 

I bought mine (pre-remote) when they were cheap and even at that price almost half-regretted it.  I do really like the Klipsch house sound, and they're quite detailed.  It's really a shame they didn't make the cord replaceable.  Even at 4x the price I'm less fearful of damage to my SE535s.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Klipsch x10 have very nice sound, but for the price I can't get over the sorry excuse for a non-replaceable cable.  I'd expect a hair-like cord on that from an <$50 headphone, not an >$350 headphone. 

I bought mine (pre-remote) when they were cheap and even at that price almost half-regretted it.  I do really like the Klipsch house sound, and they're quite detailed.  It's really a shame they didn't make the cord replaceable.  Even at 4x the price I'm less fearful of damage to my SE535s.

Right, it's starting to sound like there's not really any options that have an inline volume control and mic that are compatiable with an iPod so I edited that out of my first post in the hopes of receiving more suggestions.  As to the x10's I saw them, in the research I did upon them I saw a number of people saying that for the price the sound quality was not up to par and of course there is the non-replaceable cable does not bode well.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd say the Sennheiser Ie8/80... adjustable bass, smooth mids and treble, and a wide sound stage. Some complain about veiled mids or midbass bloat, but in the 450 range everyones just knit picking very high quality IEMs.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 11
how did you do your research?? have you read joker's 229 iem reviews thread? 

and are you looking for something with replaceable cable? i think you should include it in the op..

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 11
If you like the sound signature from the M50s I hear the CKM50s from AT have a similar sound. They're something like 30 dollars so I think you can take a chance and if you don't like them just resell them or gift them to someone. With your budget I would go with BA IEMs but you may not like their sound since you want "engagey" sound signatures. I would stay within the realm of dynamics if I were you, something like a CKS77 may be what you're looking for. You should PM the user dsnuts, he's a total basshead and can probably help you out a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back