Suggestions for IDM?
Mar 6, 2003 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
Alright then, since nobody has any world music suggestions I'll try to expand in another arena. I've long been a fan of Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin, and based on recommendations here I bought the Bola FYUTI double LP and am loving it. I also have Matmos' "A Chance to Cut Is a Chance To Cure" coming in the mail. Any suggestions for more? I tend to lean toward things that have a stable beat/melody rather than just experiments in soundscapes but I'm willing to stretch a bit.

Mar 6, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 18
If you like Aphex Twin (Richard James), give Squarepusher (Tom Jenkins) a shot. I recommend "Selection Sixteen" and "Feed Me Weird Things" as good starter albums. Also, Try Mouse on Mars "Iaora Tahiti" or "Niun Ninngung" -- These two MoM albums are very easy to get into, and still offer a good variety of textures happening. If you'd like a nice intro to the glitch-style, give Mum's "Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today is OK" a shot. Another good intro disc to glitch 'n click was put out by Morr Music -- it's a compilation, which I generally tend to shy away from -- but this one is put together very well. It is entitled "Putting the Morr Back in Morrisey: A Morr Music Compilation" -- it's a 2-disc set that features many standout artists from the Morr music label. You can find this compilation over at www.tigersushi.com --> the site is currently down so I am not posting a direct link, but if you search the site you can find it.

All are stellar albums; if you have the means, pick them all up (or at least find some MP3s to try out.

If you like this stuff, give me a PM and I can recommend more. I'm always open to discussing electronic music.

Mar 6, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by uniuniunium
My personal favorite IDM artist is ì-Ziq, a.k.a. Jack Slazenger. Very good stuff. A lot of variance in his work too, there's something for almost everyone there.

Oh, I also back u-ziq (the u is supposed to be a greek "mu"). I only have two of his albums, but I really like "Salsa with Mesquite".

Mar 6, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Ohoen
Alright then, since nobody has any world music suggestions I'll try to expand in another arena. I've long been a fan of Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin, and based on recommendations here I bought the Bola FYUTI double LP and am loving it. I also have Matmos' "A Chance to Cut Is a Chance To Cure" coming in the mail. Any suggestions for more? I tend to lean toward things that have a stable beat/melody rather than just experiments in soundscapes but I'm willing to stretch a bit.

That Bola album is excellent. I highly recommend his first album on Skam, "Soup," and his recently released album on Peacefrog (yes, on Peacefrog) called "Voile" under the alias Jello.

And then if you're new, start with the basics:

- Aphex Twin (SAW2, RDJ album, etc.)
- Autechre (Everything)
- Plaid (Anything except Trainer)
- Reload (A Collection of Short Stories)
- Atom Heart (anything)

etc.

I would advise you to stay away from the masses upon masses of Autechre imitators (Arovane, Funkstörung, Phonem, ad nauseaum) and go straight to the source (in particular, start with Tri Repetae++ and Chiastic Slide and LP5 or Amber - these records are essential and represent the absolute pinnacle of IDM in my opinion). Actually, I will highly recommend one Ae-ripoff record, the 2001 album "Solid State" by Funckarma on Djak-up-Bitch. Beautiful and amazingly written with live instrumentation.

Global Communication is another brilliant and beautiful IDM originator whose works I recommend you stockpile. 76:14 can be had nearly anywhere, but their other albums will be tough to find.

The only two Boards of Canada records you need (IMO) are Twoism (recently re-released) and Hi Scores. Stay away from everything else.

Also stay away from new Aphex Twin. And don't go for new Autechre (Confield, Gantz Graf, Draft 7.30) until you're familiar with the old work.

Orbital's "In Sides" is another one of my favorite older proto-IDM albums that is very easy to get into and very easy to enjoy. I'm listening to it right now, actually.

Those old Jega records on Skam are brilliant, but it's not like you'll ever find (real) copies for purchase so that's kind of a stupid recommendation.

Same with everything by Gescom. Well, you probably can find the CD reissue of Keynell, which is one of the finest half-hour excursions into intelligent dance music I have ever heard. And you'd do well to find MP3s of the Keynell remixes on Warp. Their sheer beauty is unmatched.

You could try some Pole, if you like reggae. (Though that edges more towards "experiments in soundscapes" than anything else)

Um. Lustmord vs. Metal Beast is an amazing record by Lustmord - not IDM - and Metal Beast - yes-IDM - which is woefully underappreciated. Soundscapes, yes, but also amazing IDM beats and melody. They mix together wonderfully.

There's the rather newish crowd of folks on Schematic and Chocolate Industries and Merck - these guys are, in my opinion, good but nowhere near groundbreaking. They're all American and they're all just sort of rehashing material covered years ago by Autechre and ilk. But they're not bad if you're really eager to hear more. (Phoenecia gets my highest recommendation...)

I am Head-Fi's resident electronica trainspotter. I am omniscient and all-knowing. Listen to me.

Hope this helps,

- Chris

Mar 6, 2003 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 18
A Chance to Cut.... is a great album. Check out The West, also by Matmos.

Some more good IDM:
Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
Fennesz - Endless Summer
DNTEL - Life is Full of Possibilities
Funkstörung - Viceversa
Prefuse 73 - Vocal Studies and Uprock Narratives
Kid606 - Down With the Scene

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks very much for the suggestions everybody. I love new fodder. I forgot to mention that I do have a newer Autechre album (can't remember the name) and love it. And I've got Tri-... and Amber coming. Can't wait, also, till my 4 disc vinyl Druckqkqs (whatever) arrives.

Mar 7, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 18
I don't know if it falls under the category of IDM but I absolutely love
Mouse On Mars. I remember two of their albums which contain
wonderful electronic/click&pop kind of tracks. The first one is Ager Itter It It
and the second one is Idiology which is a Japan Import (don't
know if there are other versions of it actually). Really rough sounds,
very experimental and down right funky.

Anybody else here likes Click & Pop music?

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
I don't know if it falls under the category of IDM but I absolutely love
Mouse On Mars. I remember two of their albums which contain
wonderful electronic/click&pop kind of tracks. The first one is Ager Itter It It
and the second one is Idiology which is a Japan Import (don't
know if there are other versions of it actually). Really rough sounds,
very experimental and down right funky.

Mouse on Mars is great, yes. They're IDM, but they're not the "Warp Records" school of IDM. Nice and quirky stuff, though. Very enjoyable.

Quote:

Anybody else here likes Click & Pop music?

Yes. Definitely.
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 18
You got yourself a new friend then
biggrin.gif

What artists/labels do you like when it comes to C&P? I love Matthias
Schaffaeuser's new album Matthias Schaffaeuser Vs. VA - Selected
Remixes Volume 1
. I also love the 'new-ish' compilation called
Clicks And Cuts 3 on Mille Plateaux (2CD). Also really loved the
compilation called Further Electronics Volume 1 which is a CD from 2002
on hum.. can't remember what label. Very good though
biggrin.gif

Oh and I love Akufen. Very very good. A montrealer too
biggrin3.gif

His Psychometry EP's are fabulous as well as his album My Way.
Oh, one more recommendation
tongue.gif
VA - Montreal Smoked Meat on
Fusion I believe (not 100% sure about that...). Nice compilation!

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
You got yourself a new friend then
biggrin.gif

What artists/labels do you like when it comes to C&P? I love Matthias
Schaffaeuser's new album Matthias Schaffaeuser Vs. VA - Selected
Remixes Volume 1
. I also love the 'new-ish' compilation called
Clicks And Cuts 3 on Mille Plateaux (2CD). Also really loved the
compilation called Further Electronics Volume 1 which is a CD from 2002
on hum.. can't remember what label. Very good though
biggrin.gif

I have to say my fondness of "clicks n cuts" as it were is very pick-n-choose. The genre as a whole, I think, has sort of overstayed its welcome. I do like a bit of the "microhouse" stuff though - Akufen et al - even though it gets old after I listen to it for a half hour.

I find the minimalists like Taylor Deupree and Alva Noto to be the most interesting. Alva Noto's most recent CD with Ryuichi Sakamoto (Yellow Magic Orchestra) is downright beautiful.

- Chris

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
I find the minimalists like Taylor Deupree and Alva Noto to be the most interesting. Alva Noto's most recent CD with Ryuichi Sakamoto (Yellow Magic Orchestra) is downright beautiful.

- Chris

I'll have to look for that album then
wink.gif
Always open to suggestions!

Quote:

...even though it gets old after I listen to it for a half hour.

It can get boring but it all depends on what you choose. Some click & pop
tracks might sound very catchy at first listen and might be very sexy
but then you listen to it two, three, four more times and it gets just plain
boring. This is where you can distinguish good producers/remixers from
the bad ones, I guess
biggrin.gif

I'm currently listening to Raz Ohara - This Is A Beautiful Day (from Matthias
Schaffaeuser's new album.. it's some remix he made I believe). It's the 10th if not
the 15th time I listen to it and it just keeps getting better.
Vocals are so sexy
wink.gif
I wonder how that track would sound with headphones :drool:

Mar 8, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 18
minya made good recommendations, except I would also add BOC's In A Beautiful Place... which is my favorite of their works.

I'd also add Squarepusher's Go Plastic! to the basics.

the best way to discover new music is to talk to minya and use soulseek.

Mar 8, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 18
A great sampler CD is the "Nothing Changes" compilation from Nothing Records, the tracklist is:
squarepusher- tequila fish
autechre- vose in
meat beat manifesto- acid again (dub again remix)
plaid- undoneson
plug- cheesy (amen mix)
the bowling green- think what you're doing
meat beat mainfesto- book of shadows
autechre- corc
plaid- abla eedio (freemix)
squarepusher- massif (stay strong)
plug- drum `n' bass for papa
the bowling green- the groad is a grey ribbon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back