Suggestions for headphones, please? :D
Feb 29, 2016 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kreizy

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I apologize in advance for my newbie questions. I am very new to audio based technology.

After doing some online research, I purchased the AKG K 550 and I received them today. Despite the many positive reviews, I have to say I am not impressed. This surprised me because I have been using Sennheiser CX300 II earbuds, and despite the ridiculously low price, I still find them alot better. It produces a crisp sound, it feels intimate and close, while the AKG sounds soft and background-ish, like a thin layer prevents the music from fully reaching me... or something. Not sure how to explain it. I find immersion very important, and I did not achieve that feeling at all while listening.

I didn't choose headphones with a prominent bass as I figured that would be risky/would become boring after a while, so I decided to go for a neutral sound. Is that where I went wrong? Is there anything you guys can recommend, or do you think I should just stick to my cheap ass sennheisers? :/ I'm a little embarrassed and wonder if something's wrong with my ears. I've yet to see a person recommend earbuds over headphones to get the best quality sound.

By the way, the type of music I prefer listening to is symphonic and electronic metal, classical + rock (soundtracks) and ambient music. Mostly instrumental stuff.

Side-question.. is there a way to amp up the volume while listening to tracks on your phone? I am often annoyed that they can't go as loud as I want. It's a different story when plugging them to my PC, but the problem is I am not always at my PC. >_<

Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to your answer(s)!

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 9
  Hey everyone,

I apologize in advance for my newbie questions. I am very new to audio based technology.

After doing some online research, I purchased the AKG K 550 and I received them today. Despite the many positive reviews, I have to say I am not impressed. This surprised me because I have been using Sennheiser CX300 II earbuds, and despite the ridiculously low price, I still find them alot better. It produces a crisp sound, it feels intimate and close, while the AKG sounds soft and background-ish, like a thin layer prevents the music from fully reaching me... or something. Not sure how to explain it. I find immersion very important, and I did not achieve that feeling at all while listening.

I didn't choose headphones with a prominent bass as I figured that would be risky/would become boring after a while, so I decided to go for a neutral sound. Is that where I went wrong? Is there anything you guys can recommend, or do you think I should just stick to my cheap ass sennheisers? :/ I'm a little embarrassed and wonder if something's wrong with my ears. I've yet to see a person recommend earbuds over headphones to get the best quality sound.

By the way, the type of music I prefer listening to is symphonic and electronic metal, classical + rock (soundtracks) and ambient music. Mostly instrumental stuff.

Side-question.. is there a way to amp up the volume while listening to tracks on your phone? I am often annoyed that they can't go as loud as I want. It's a different story when plugging them to my PC, but the problem is I am not always at my PC. >_<

It can sometimes take our brains a little while to get used to new headphones. IEMs and over-ears are quite different, the presentation of music is different. You're not used to over-ears. You might give them a week or two of listening and then see how you feel. You may feel the same, but you may not as well. The K550 are a quality headphone, but they may just not be for you. As far as getting more volume out of your phone, you could always just get an amp and that would get you more volume. Be careful not to play your music too loud, hearing damage is definitely possible at higher volume levels (sure you already know this). Sorry that you are disappointed, but I would definitely give them a bit of time to see if the problem is ameliorated or not.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi, and welcome to Head-Fi!

First of all, there's probably nothing wrong with your ears just because you preferred your Sennheisers to the AKGs.

As serman005 said you might want to listen to them for a couple of days so you become accustomed to the new signature and design. Just make sure you can still return if you don't end ep liking it.
The seal with closed headphones are still important (not as important as with IEMs though) so not getting a good seal may result in subpar sound.

The AKG K550 are not known for having a strong bass, while the CX300II have plenty of bass so if that's what you like you should look into more bassy headphones.

I think the best thing you can do in the meantime is to go to a store where you can demo headphones to see how you like them. It doesn't matter if they are all beats or bose or cheap ones, at least you will start to realize what you like in  a headphone and what you don't.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 9

You can always pick up a headphone amp for your phone.  I bought the fiio q1 its a dac and headphone amp and it does what I need it to do. Make sure whatever you get will work with your phone. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157DKAU4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I like metal/rock too.I have a neutral pair of headphones(Senn HD600) and rock/metal sounds boring thru them....Does that mean theyre bad headphones?No. They do what theyre supposed to do....give a very flat reproduction of what is there,albeit somewhat veiled.

I can suggest an inexpensive pair of headphones that you may or may not like,but for me,and MANY others,bang for the buck for rock/metal...Grado 80e

I promise you wont feel like theyre in the background,and they add a certain meaty-ness to guitars,and vocals are brought forward....and volume for days,unamped.

Grados are quite polarizing...many love em,many hate em,which is why I avoided them for years.When I finally picked up a pair I sat there wondering why I hadnt took the Grado plunge years ago.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 9
  Sennheiser CX300 II earbuds, and despite the ridiculously low price, I still find them alot better. It produces a crisp sound, it feels intimate and close, while the AKG sounds soft and background-ish, like a thin layer prevents the music from fully reaching me... or something. Not sure how to explain it. I find immersion very important, and I did not achieve that feeling at all while listening.

K550 has a big soundstage for a closed (and even pretty big for open) headphones, so they won't sound as intimate and immersive as a headphone with a smaller soundstage that's in your face.  The trade for that is sounds have more space and separation.

The center area in front of you should sound fairly close to you though.  K550 isn't known for having great depth in the center.  But it's still not "in your head" like various other headphones are.

If the sound is soft, you might just need to experiment with fitment.  K550 can be hard to get a good placement and seal, and then it doesn't sound as good or clear.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you all so much for your helpful replies, I will definitely look into this and give your suggestions a try!

@serman005: you are probably right, maybe I expected too much on the first day and I should have given it some extra time. I guess I'm too impulsive (I already sent them retour before even writing this post). On my next purchase however, I will give it a week at least ^^

@VNandor: that possibility entered my mind as well. I'm likely more into a strong bass and the neutral style the AKG offered was simply not my cup of tea. Well, another lesson learned. :)

@Ravenato: thanks so much for the info and also for adding in those links, appreciate it!

@monsterzero: that sounds very appealing, I have to admit. I love metal and the sound of guitars especially. I will see if my local store offers them and try them out. *-*

@Dangerclose & HiFiChris: Thank you both also, your answers have helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back